Author Topic: PAYNE / PROCTOR - Buckinghamshire  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Oz_Sanders

• RootsChat Extra
  • There was a wild Colonial girl . . .
    • View Profile
PAYNE / PROCTOR - Buckinghamshire
« on: Monday 28 January 08 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

My father was born in Beverley in 1916, and his name was Billie Grenfell Griffin.

His mother's name was Alice Beatrice Proctor (b. 1890 Hitcham, Suffolk) and father's name was Ernest Griffin (b. 1887 Walkington, Yorkshire). He also had a brother Eric, born in 1920.

Now, family lore say that Dad had a favourite Aunty named Pat (my namesake) who married Ernie Payne of Chalfont St Giles in Bucks.

The problem is that there is no Pat in the Proctor line, and I am now suspecting that maybe one of Alice's sisters changed their name to, or just wanted to be known as, Pat? Or, maybe I have the wrong Alice Beatrice Proctor with those birth details (a strong possibility?)

For some reason, Dad just didn't talk about his family, and everything we know has been gleaned from letters from Alice over the years. (Why did he run away from England and come to Australia? Again - didn't want to talk about it)

We have tried writing to Pat and Ernie's son, but he didn't seem interested in providing details, so we have left this alone for over 20 years.

So now, the time has come! As keeper of the family tree, I need to get this info, so if anyone has clues and/or directions, please feel free to give me a holler.

Cheers,
Trisha