Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 97785 times)

Offline Bobmacn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #153 on: Saturday 05 May 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
My name is McNair and we were with the MacLachlans and I have been told that we released after being taken prisoner.   A woman called Henrietta MacLachlan was a kinswoman who was following her husband who was a Campbell and officer in the Independent Companies.  She pleaded with him as the men were related to her and he let them go.   Where can I verify this?
Many thanks
Bob McNair

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Alan Hood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Sunday 06 May 18 01:10 BST (UK) »
My name is McNair and we were with the MacLachlans and I have been told that we released after being taken prisoner.   A woman called Henrietta MacLachlan was a kinswoman who was following her husband who was a Campbell and officer in the Independent Companies.  She pleaded with him as the men were related to her and he let them go.   Where can I verify this?
Many thanks
Bob McNair
Hi Bob, The Independent Companies were on the British side; I just googled 1745 The Independent Companies and this link came up: http://www.clan-macrae.org.uk/scotland/history.cfm?ID=3
That gives some clues.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Bobmacn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Monday 07 May 18 00:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan... I knew that.  I was trying to say that the Campbell officer spared my anscestor.
I just meed some more information about the incident.
Thanks for your help though

Offline Alan Hood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Monday 07 May 18 01:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan... I knew that.  I was trying to say that the Campbell officer spared my anscestor.
I just meed some more information about the incident.
Thanks for your help though
Sorry, I didn't read it carefully enough. The book "No Quarter Given - The Muster Roll of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's Army 1745 - 6 Should have his name in it, if you know his regiment, or you can troll through the while book. This book gives a few extra clues. The book Fight for a throne - the Jacobite '45 reconsidered by Christopher Duffy contains an enormous amount of detail including various incidents at various locations, and this might add more clues

Offline Bobmacn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Monday 07 May 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
Ill get a hold of the books Alan.
Thanks again for your advice.
Best Wishes
Bob