Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 131066 times)

Offline Wils Son

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
old rowley,
Thanks very much for the prompt reply.  Evander is an interesting name and not one that is in my family.  I do believe that Daniel came up through the Carolina's to Virginia and is a likely candidate to have been transported.

Regards,

Wils Son

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 10 July 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Merv, Sorry for the delay in answering. Unfortunately I have no Robert Grant's showing on the short list that I have but a search on the net gives a Robert Grant who was captured at Preston and was aboard the ship "Elizabeth & Anne" under the command of Edward Trafford which left Liverpool on 28th July 1716 heading for Jamaica and Virginia.
I do not know if this relates to the Robert Grant that you are researching but it could be a start.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 10 July 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info old rowley.  Not likely our Robert Grant but an interesting piece of history just the same. 

Cheers.
Merv
Scott-Traquair, Catslacknowe, Ashkirk, Sco
Stutt-Co Fermanagh and Tyrone, Ulster, NI
Newton-North Plantagenet(CAN), Ireland
Grieve-Roberton, Lilliesleaf Sco
Hodgins-Cloughjordan, Co Tipperary, Ire
Elliot-Canonbie, Bogra, Holmhead, Annan, Sco and Egremont Engl
Little-Canonbie Sco,  Kingsbridgeford, Thirlwall, Wallasey Eng
McAlister-Louth Co., Queen's Co. Ire
Smith-Whitehaven Eng

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 19 July 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
hi old rowley, I am looking into the mckenzie family and would be pleased if you could let me have any information you have as regards the prisoners of the rebellion with that name

thank you

Alex

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 23 July 09 08:43 BST (UK) »
Morning Alex,

In total there are 34 men with the surname of M'Kenzie on the list that I have. To make it simpler I have used the first name followed by x and a number where there are more than one with that name. The four figured number that follows after this is the number given to the prisoner at Tilbury Fort in Essex.

Alexander x5.  2097/ 2098/ 2099/ 2100. All four prisoners transported on 31st March 1747.

Alexander 2108. Died at Tibury Fort Essex.

Daniel x3.  2117  Transported (no details given).
                 2118 & 2119 both died at Tilbury Fort Essex.

Donald x7.  2115/ 2126/ 2127/ 2128/ 2129/ 2130. These six prisoners were transported on 31st March 1747.

Donald 2133. This prisoner transported on 20th March 1747.

George x2. 2146. Transported 31st March 1747.
                  2147. Transported 20th March 1747.

James 2151. Transported 31st March 1747.

John x7. 2157/ 2158/ 2159/ 2160/ 2161/ 2162. These six prisoners were transported on 31st March 1747.

John 2171. Died at Tilbury Fort Essex.

Kenneth x4. 2173/ 2174/ 2175. These three prisoners transported on 31st March 1747.

Kenneth 2176. Transported on 19th March 1747.

Lewis 2183. Transported April 1747.

Murdock x2. 2185/ 2186 both prisoners transported on 31st March 1747.

Rory x2. 2197/ 2198 both prisoners transported 20th March 1747.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 23 July 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
Morning Alex,

In total there are 34 men with the surname of M'Kenzie on the list that I have. To make it simpler I have used the first name followed by x and a number where there are more than one with that name. The four figured number that follows after this is the number given to the prisoner at Tilbury Fort in Essex.

Alexander x5.  2097/ 2098/ 2099/ 2100. All four prisoners transported on 31st March 1747.

Alexander 2108. Died at Tibury Fort Essex.

Daniel x3.  2117  Transported (no details given).
                 2118 & 2119 both died at Tilbury Fort Essex.

Donald x7.  2115/ 2126/ 2127/ 2128/ 2129/ 2130. These six prisoners were transported on 31st March 1747.

Donald 2133. This prisoner transported on 20th March 1747.

George x2. 2146. Transported 31st March 1747.
                  2147. Transported 20th March 1747.

James 2151. Transported 31st March 1747.

John x7. 2157/ 2158/ 2159/ 2160/ 2161/ 2162. These six prisoners were transported on 31st March 1747.

John 2171. Died at Tilbury Fort Essex.

Kenneth x4. 2173/ 2174/ 2175. These three prisoners transported on 31st March 1747.

Kenneth 2176. Transported on 19th March 1747.

Lewis 2183. Transported April 1747.

Murdock x2. 2185/ 2186 both prisoners transported on 31st March 1747.

Rory x2. 2197/ 2198 both prisoners transported 20th March 1747.

old rowley
HI O.R thanks for your help. I wonder if you might be able to point me in the general direction of any more sources of information on these men such as where they were transported to and so on.

Alex.

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 23 July 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
Alex wrote:

I am looking into the mckenzie family and would be pleased if you could let me have any information you have as regards the prisoners of the rebellion with that name

Hiya Alex,

Chief of the Mackenzies, Seaforth, declared loyalty to the Hanoverians, he raised several hundred Mackenzies to garrison Inverness against the rebels.

George Mackenzie, Earl of Cromarty, was head of the second most powerful Mackenzie family, with his 18 year old son John as Lieut-Colonel he raised a Jacabite regiment. Both Seaforth and Cromarty used threats of burning, hanging, and eviction to recruit. (Seaforth's wife did some recruiting for the Jacobites)

Cromarty recruited mostly from his Wester Ross estate of Coigach and the wider Lochbroom, he also got some from Easter Ross.

The Regiment fought in several battles, then was tasked with occupying Sutherland and Caithness. Ordered south to Inverness they left Dunrobin Castle in some disarray, the men ahead of the officers. The Sutherland Militia ambushed and defeated them, the officers surrendering at the castle. That was the day before the Battle of Culloden, their absence there was a contributing factor to defeat of the Rebellion.

There were some MacKenzies with other regiments, notably MacKenzie of Lentron with MacDonell of Glengary, but most Jacobite MKs were with Cromarty.

A few files on my website;

A study of interrelationships, mostly MacKenzies; http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coigach/trees.htm

A timeline of the Rebellion;http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coigach/ardloch.htm

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline scotia123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 23 July 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
Alex wrote:

I am looking into the mckenzie family and would be pleased if you could let me have any information you have as regards the prisoners of the rebellion with that name

Hiya Alex,

Chief of the Mackenzies, Seaforth, declared loyalty to the Hanoverians, he raised several hundred Mackenzies to garrison Inverness against the rebels.

George Mackenzie, Earl of Cromarty, was head of the second most powerful Mackenzie family, with his 18 year old son John as Lieut-Colonel he raised a Jacabite regiment. Both Seaforth and Cromarty used threats of burning, hanging, and eviction to recruit. (Seaforth's wife did some recruiting for the Jacobites)

Cromarty recruited mostly from his Wester Ross estate of Coigach and the wider Lochbroom, he also got some from Easter Ross.

The Regiment fought in several battles, then was tasked with occupying Sutherland and Caithness. Ordered south to Inverness they left Dunrobin Castle in some disarray, the men ahead of the officers. The Sutherland Militia ambushed and defeated them, the officers surrendering at the castle. That was the day before the Battle of Culloden, their absence there was a contributing factor to defeat of the Rebellion.

There were some MacKenzies with other regiments, notably MacKenzie of Lentron with MacDonell of Glengary, but most Jacobite MKs were with Cromarty.

A few files on my website;

A study of interrelationships, mostly MacKenzies; http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coigach/trees.htm

A timeline of the Rebellion;http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coigach/ardloch.htm

Donald.
Hi Donald, thanks very much  for this info and the links you provided much appreciated will check out your website.

Alex.

Offline colonel-m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 05 September 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you old rowley,

I read this with interest because I have just found out my Ancestors (not in the list) fought at Culloden

The information I have is: "In 1745 Theophilus Hearsey (a Cumberland Squire) took up arms for Prince Charles Edward Stuart and led his family, tenants and servants into the field.
Theophilus and his son were both present at Culloden and consequently attainted and their estates confiscated. They fled the country and joined exiled court on the continent."   

It appears that when proceedings against the Jacobites were relaxed they returned to England and became London Merchants and made their fortune (wish it had lasted  :( ).

What I find really strange is they went on to become generations of high ranking military officers imauricen the British Army based in India  ???

Crystal  :D

Hullo Crystal  I am a descendant from he Hearsey family, my mother who has passed on. my aunt is still alive. I have the family hhistory book which mother has passed on to me to which there is only two copies, also documents relatin to family memebers I was born in India my mother was born in India who fled Burma with the Hearsey family into India, also the Barnard family . yes they had big business as part of the India Company and were high ranking Officers some were Generals.....some where along the line are we cousins..? mothers maiden name was hearsey then O, Brien...
contact me via  email....(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

HEARSEY FAMILY-CUMBERLAND