Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 130942 times)

Offline colonel-m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 06 September 09 01:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you old rowley,

I read this with interest because I have just found out my Ancestors (not in the list) fought at Culloden

The information I have is: "In 1745 Theophilus Hearsey (a Cumberland Squire) took up arms for Prince Charles Edward Stuart and led his family, tenants and servants into the field.
Theophilus and his son were both present at Culloden and consequently attainted and their estates confiscated. They fled the country and joined exiled court on the continent."   

It appears that when proceedings against the Jacobites were relaxed they returned to England and became London Merchants and made their fortune (wish it had lasted  :( ).

What I find really strange is they went on to become generations of high ranking military officers in the British Army based in India  ???

Crystal  :D

re- my answer  most of the hearseys enlisted as ensigns and worked their way up into the ranks....there were many men of the hearsey s who served in the army both for the East India Company then the Indian Army some went to Burma where my Grandparents lived before fleeing Burma because of the Japonese invasion, they played a big part in the Indian mutinity where A general Hearsey and hisson Capt Andrew Hearsey disarmed the mutineers  there is an Indin film "Mangel Pandy"    the hearsey family was vast as most of them married met some of them on the reurn after the Partition of India. most were in the Indian Army and the Royal Signals....BAINS LEVISTON-ALLEN and a major who I met in training in Catterick camp in 1961 a Major late of the Indian Army  my late mother nee HEARSEY  her father was a senior burmese police officer in the burma police....my own Father an Englishman was an officer in the war time Indian army,,,another name is PURDY.....I have my Grandfathers features.....as my Aunt Elsie.....
HEARSEY FAMILY-CUMBERLAND

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 18:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry colonel m only just picked this up been rather busy of late - all sounds very interesting, I have sent a pm for now and will get back to this as soon as I am able.

Crystal  :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bbessac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 11 September 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
I am curious on any news regarding the Jacobites of Cummings, Kerr, Keir and Reid families.
Thank you, Bret

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 11 September 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, am interested in the one named as Tudde this is also a derivitive of Todd/Tod/Todde
Thanks
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 11 September 09 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil, unfortunately all I have for Tudde is,
3300 William Tudde Not Known.
the 3300 was his prisoner number and the "not known" relates to what happened to him. Not much help I'm afraid.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 11 September 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, at least it follows that it was a william at least 600 yrs of them now.
Regards ;D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline sharonboon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Great Granda Thomas Craggs Beldon
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 14:20 BST (UK) »
I am interested to know if anyone has any more inforation on John Coppock and also his brother Thomas Coppock better know as the Mock Bishop of Carlisle who was hung drawn and quartered at Carlisle Castle, John Coppock was Thomas brother and would be my 7th G Grandfather.
Thanks
Sharon.
Coppock, South Shields, Gateshead, Chatham, Stepney, Bristol
Dodgson, Newcastle upon Tyne
Fairclough, Suffolk
Beldon, Gateshead
Bye, Suffolk,
Gellatly, Newcastle upon Tyne, Leigh Scotland,
Giadano, Newcastle upon Tyne, Italy
Tweed, Suffolk

Offline Buzancy18

• RootsChat Member
  • Lest we Forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 17 September 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
John Coppock was recommended to mercy by the jury at Carlisle.
I have no idea what happened to him.

Buzancy18
Girdwood, Fergusson, Graham, Porteous, Watson, Donaldson,

Offline sante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 18 September 09 12:06 BST (UK) »
Re Previous message "Hearsey"

I have been tracing the Hearsey's and was wondering if anyone knows the details about them being Orange Merchants in London.  Have found a few details in the wills for example Christian Mary Hearsey Born in 1747 and Died in 1805.  Also does anyone know if Theophilus Hearsey Born in 1754 married Sarah Garlick.

Great reading especially as I am directly related through the Marian Salmon nee Hearsey.