Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 130615 times)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 July 08 13:09 BST (UK) »
As someone who is constantly being labelled a traitor and turncoat by Scottish nationalists, I need to know one or two things about Scottish history.

Hi Windsor,

I know we don't do politics on this site, but you have mentioned this a few times. I am a member of the SNP and quite a number of our members, councillors and members of the Scottish Parliament are English. Some like the royal family :), some don't. >:(

So I feel slightly uncomfortable if you think that all Scottish nationalists share the views of the people who have called you a turncoat. I think Scottish and Britsh history is too intriate to have simplistic views on what motivated people to side with Prince Charlie, King Billy or whoever.

Anyway, just thought I just mention this, no harm or insult meant.  ;D ;D

Greenvalley

I apologies if I offended you also.
I do tend to go off on a rant with these things. It is generally the younger people who come out with the offensive stuff. In their view, I should support independence due to blood ties and the plight of my ancestors.
I live in an SNP safe constituency (Alex Salmond's constituency) - sometimes I can't contain myself.
Again, sorry for tarring all nationalists with the same brush.

regards
Windsor87
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 July 08 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,

The entry for the prisoner named Beaton reads,

(prisoner) 141 Angus Beaton Transported 31-3-1747.

Not much I am afraid

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline alexena

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 July 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi OR,

I would be obliged to you for any details of the following surnames. Robertson, McIntosh, McGillivray, McLennan & Bain.

Cheers,

Alexena :)
Campbell, Phimister, Thain - Findochty, Banffshire
Smith(Bo), Bain, Imlach - Portessie, Banffshire
Phimister - Caithness
Robertson, MacPherson - Sleat, Skye
MacLennan - Ross & Cromarty
Mackintosh, Shaw - Inverness

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 July 08 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

I've just discovered this thread - and your kind offer.

I'd be particularly interested in any details concerning the following prisoners from your list:

Bisset (2)
Ferrier (10)
Stewart (2)
Stuart (2)
Young (2).

Thanks,
Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexena,

As with the others the information given is to the point and basic but I hope that the information given may be of some help. The prisoners number preceeds the name.

2855 George Robertson   Transported 31st 3rd 1747
2046 Alexander McIntosh Transported 31st 3rd 1747
2055 John McIntosh          Died 12th 6th 1747 at Tilbury Fort
2068 William McIntosh      Died at Tilbury Fort
2005 Farquhar Mc'Gillivray Died at Tilbury Fort
2287 Duncan M'Lennan     Not Known
2295 Duncan M'Lennan     Transported 20th 3rd 1747
2301 Rory M'Lennan          Transported 31st 3rd 1747
    84 Kenneth Bain            Transported 31st 3rd 1747

OR

Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

As before the information given is basic and again the prisoners numbers preceed their names and details. Also the entries for the name Ferrier should have read 1 not 10 on my initial listing ....mental note to self ....remember to hit the keys abit harder and read the message prior to posting. Sorry for misleading you in the hope that there were going to be a large amount of them (I have now amended the entry on the list).

164 George Bisset   Died at Tilbury Fort
  166 William Bisset   Not Known
  878 John Ferrier      Died at Tilbury Fort
3140 Allen Stewart   Died at Tilbury Fort
3175 John Stewart   Transported 31st 3rd 1747
3149 David Stuart    Transported 20th 3rd 1747
3159 Hugh Stuart     Transported 31st 3rd 1747
3466 Thomas Young Transported 31st 3rd 1747
3468 Walter Young   Discharged

OR

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks OR.

Yes, must admit, I got a bit carried away with the 10 Ferriers as it's not that common a name, especially in Perthshire where mine come from! 

Never mind, one is better than none!  ;)  I shall keep those names on file in the hope that I'll be able to connect them to my ancestors at some time.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline alexena

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you OR for that information. I shall see if I can link any of the names with my ancestors. Much appreciated.

alexena
Campbell, Phimister, Thain - Findochty, Banffshire
Smith(Bo), Bain, Imlach - Portessie, Banffshire
Phimister - Caithness
Robertson, MacPherson - Sleat, Skye
MacLennan - Ross & Cromarty
Mackintosh, Shaw - Inverness

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hiya Alex and old Rowley,

O.R. wrote:

The entry for the prisoner named Beaton reads,

(prisoner) 141 Angus Beaton Transported 31-3-1747.

I have copies of the pages of "Prisoners of the '45" and "Muster Roll of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's Army, 1745-46" where they mention Cromarty's Regiment, Angus is found there with some more data, noted as miller to the Laird of Ardloch, 48 years of age, at "Little Laids", "Home or Origin" as Caithness.

My guess is Caithness was an error, though possbly he was born there. I have not located "Laids" or "Little Laids" but Mackenzie of Ardloch was then at Assynt Parish of SutherlandShire.

The Laird of Ardloch sat out the Rebellion, but his younger brother John was a prominant officer in Cromarty's Regiment, evaded capture at Dunrobin, aided French attempts to rescue Bonny Prince Charlie, including acting as pilot to the Privateer that eventually did get the Prince, though later captured with further adventures.

Old Rowley, I'd be interested in the source of the list you have; I have not been able to track down all the original sources of the two books I note above, and from description it looks likely your list is one of them. Please contact me off line and I'd be happy to trade the data from "Prisoners" and "Muster" on Cromarty's Regiment for the data you have. [email *]

All the best,

Donald.

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.