Author Topic: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield  (Read 29351 times)

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Locating a Grave in Huddersfield
« on: Tuesday 29 January 08 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help me?  I'm trying to locate the grave of my ggrandfather, he died in Huddersfield in June 1913, his name was Job Cock(s)/Cox.  At the time of his death he was living in Lockwood, before that Linthwaite.

I would me most grateful for any help on this, last time I visited Huddersfield I searched Lockwood cemetery but couldn't find his grave there.  His wife's name was Mary who died in Dec 1911.

Thanks for your time.

Libby

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 December 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Could be lockwood cem. I'll try records

dober
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 December 08 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm,

Thanks for your interest in my enquiry.  I would be most grateful for a look up in the cemetery records.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:00 GMT (UK) »
See what turns up! if hes in the a cemetery there will be records but if hes in a church yard then records are if'fy.
Do you know if his family had a family grave and that being his birth place. I've *(Parents grave) come across that! St Peter and Almondbury have records but Rashchiff was cleared years ago !no records I think. Theres a church between Lockwood and Crossland moor also Newsome. Just a question of searching the grave yards on them. It may take a while

Dob
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dob,

I feel certain he will have a headstone as his business was cab proprietor/funeral director.  At the time of his death he lived at Albert Street Lockwood.  I made a mistake on my original post sorry, his wife Mary diied in 1906, and Job Apr 1913.  I'll keep my fingers crossed he's in a cemetery.

I'm also trying to locate his father's grave, his name Joshua, born c.1810, died 1886 in Linthwaite.  Wife's name Susannah died 1889 also Linthwaite.  I'd guess they were buried at Linthwaite Christ Church, do you know if graves there are still standing or have they been cleared?

Thanks so much for offering to help me.

Regards Libby

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 December 08 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Libby
Linthwaite I know well as I was obeying the law of nature behind a bush earlier this year in that church yard photoing  Beaumont's graves for a friend ! when a cricket ball flew over and in seconds surounded by cricketers.  Fasted zip up in history.

Well back to your post ! the above answers your Linthwaite question if headstones still there.

Well leave it with me and  I will post findings on records but maybe a while for church yards as its artic weather here at the moment!

Dob

me at the church yard :o

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 December 08 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Dob.  Pleased to hear graves are still standing at Linthwaite Christ Church ;D

Please do be careful when visiting........I wouldn't like you to get injured doing a search on my behalf   :)

Pay a call first so you don't get caught short  ;) ;D

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 December 08 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Not on Sunday afternoons but its fooball season now so ok. I can handle football hooligans but cricketers are a law to them selfs all polite and proper posh poopers like punching into fresh air. Rugby scrums are a bit behond graveyards but not very ....fresh...airy.
Dob

PS Linthwaite has semi moden cem late 1800's (1880+)to pres-day and were you graves  Anglican or None conformist as cems have different section for each.

Albert St brings in Edgerton cem

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 December 08 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dob,

I cannot say with certainty, but I'd guess Joshua and Susannah were buried as non conformists.  It's difficult to call, as some of their children were baptised at Salendine Nook baptists, others christened C of E.  It could be Susannah was nonconformist (she was baptised) and Joshua C of E.  Sorry if this uncertainty makes the search more difficult.

I hope the Colne Valley weather isn't too cold.  I used to live in the Holme Valley and remember the freezing winters there.  I too remember how pretty everywhere looked when covered in snow, but that was when there wasn't a lot of road traffic turning snow to dirty slush.