Author Topic: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield  (Read 29354 times)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 February 14 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all your work in looking for Edmund Wear.I will get a death certificate so that,as you say,we can see what he died of. I'll get back to you as soon as I get the certificate. It would be interesting to find out if there were any epidemics in Huddersfield at that time.I'm sure internet will have something somewhere so I'll have a look.
    Will be in touch Susan

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

In those days fever was a very common affair (I used the words mini epidemic but meaning more of a local outbreak of a common disease like typhoid controlled to (slum type housing with large families in small rooms of urban squalor) homes in a street/area - quarantine of a few streets or area) and the way they controlled it, buried the deceased as fast as possible in a quarantined area of a church grave yard or council cemetery known as fever sections.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hjM9AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA341&lpg=PA341&dq=huddersfield+town+disease+and+filth+19th+century&source=bl&ots=Zx-SbeJ0vs&sig=7ZPwTdWjsG4smHa_2lQzyhO6Y0E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=80MMU6THB4eM0AWj1IGwDQ&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=huddersfield%20town%20disease%20and%20filth%2019th%20century&f=false

The reason they started large out of town centre cemeteries like Edgerton was St Peter's church yard was filled up and stunk, there was filth, poor sanitation and disease rampant.

http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/8802/1/MoriartyEsther_final_thesis.pdf

Another common issue was infant burials and later adults would make usage of these existing graves of their infant bro's & sisters graves at the parents church of worship churchyard or area. (Ie Edmund born Halifax or Elizabeth in born Doncaster)

The reason why Edmund may not be showing up on Familysearch LDS or Ancestry.com or national burials CD maybe as I said ! nonconformist burials in small chapels or big council run cemeteries with their own records or shared church fever graves. Another thing I noticed was all the local church register church burials seem to dry up around 1870 then cover a few years burials on one page right into the 20th century (These few burials would be existing family graves of deceased buried in old family graves ! like a wife being buried with her husband or infant child burials )

Edmund could have been nonconformist buried in Huddersfield or Halifax as one in a chapel grave yard and his wife Elizabeth could have been Anglican hence her children baptized Anglican.
I'm guessing these two met in domestic service like a maid and carter horse teamster (Estate house coach or stagecoach driverbeing from two distant town areas)

Try Kirklees cemeteries burial search at Aspley Huddersfield

http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/community/localorgs/orgdetails.asp?OrgID=337

and Calderdale cemeteries search at Parkwood Elland for Halifax

http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/advice/births-marriages-deaths/funerals-cremations/park-wood.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Yorks Street, Huddersfield see Rail Station St George's Square to  get a location fix on google maps to locate today where York Street was near Northumberland Street and Union street is still there
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Same map with St Peter's church on -Edmund should have been buried at St Peter's or Edgerton Cemetery and this makes me believe they moved or buried elsewhere or Halifax

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The burial in St Paul's are Betty,71, 27 May 1847; Erasmous, 13 month, 28 May 1849; Herbert James, 7 month, 17 Jun 1843; Lamartine, 11 month, 23 May 1833; and Julia Elizabeth, 17 month, 31 May 1848 (spelt Weare); all these living at King Street, Huddersfield. Mary France, 15 Month 16 May 1833, living Castle Gate. Edward, 68, 12 Nov 1840 living Dewsbury.
All I can think of is he was buried in a chapel which would be ether Highfield or the Deighton one I mentioned before or  could they have been Baptists then it would be Salendin Nook.
Dobby you mean St Mark's not St. Mary's.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 08:33 GMT (UK) »
I stand corrected -St Mark's ~ John

Thanks

For church map and scroll down the list of different denominations

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churchmap?GR=SE145167,D=3

This link gives the noncomformist chapels, you can see the the ones with burials and some are listed under Huddersfield others under their own name.

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archives/Collections%20Guide%202.pdf

This link gives the Anglican church's

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archives/Collections%20Guide%201.pdf

Edmund says he was from Halifax and was baptised in Birstall, Halifax parish boundary with Birstall is Bailiff bridge and Lower wike, so you need to check the abode on Edmund baptism 1832

Halifax on the A 649 Hipperholme, Lightcliffe, Bailiff bridge, runs across Cliftonmoor to Hightown and Littletown, skirting Hartshead, above Brighouse and Huddersfield's Cooperbridge/Roberttown (the other side of the river calder valley on the hill is Sheepbridge Woodhouse/Bradley and Deighton) Kirkheaton parish covers parts of Colnebridge (Cooperbridge) Bradley

Edmunds Brother Timothy b 1829/31 Littletown lived Hipperholme also same occupation as Edmund as a teamster/carter in censuses

Click on the map in link to enlarge map

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Maps/WRYParishes.gif

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Not many Wear's buried in Roberttown think mainly Abraham's family.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Just generalising Edmund's Father Timothy sr and his family areas as possible family burial places.

(Yep! ~We're scraping the barrel bottom here-I know! )

Dave

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Member BumbleB has informed me that Edmund Weare baptised 9th Sept 1832 St Peter Birstall abode  Halifax father Timothy Weare was a Dyer.

This confirms my theory that this family had a special family church to worship at away from the place of residence, so its possible Edmund's family utilized an existing family grave away from Huddersfield place of residence and death. Being carters (Brother Timothy) by trade in the family transporting a body would be no problem as no regulations them days