Author Topic: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield  (Read 29754 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 January 09 13:48 GMT (UK) »
You are! if your relatives are local sat on a mine of info. If you want just tree info then as above, if you want more like ' Their lives,vocation, community, and history! Ie;- LUDITTES info ask the staff at the library
Land Tax
Overseers of the poor
Tides and maps in map draws
Electoral Poll
Hearth tax
land deeds
Known family history ie whitwam and other Shaws, Midgley, Mallinsons, Beaumont, Roebuc,Ramsdens,Littlewood,Tinkers,Horsfalls, Haigh,Taylors and many more  as they inter-married localy
Wills index > York Trees
Use free BMD's and census look up website
There are many websites on the net
Read the LDS family search library and National archive Learn also 'Find my past' Learn ie parish records
last go to the Wakefield archives and talk to their achives staff? they are very helpfull!!!!!!****.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 January 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
It can be a life times work  by you for your future descndents but effort times & hard work give or gets result long term and rewarding.

well keep asking on this website

surf the net

dob
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline kaz1056

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks no one in family really bothered, mydad is with his family, and my father in law with Whiteheads unfortunatly he died last sunday. So i am doing it for me.
I am a member of Ancestry .co.uk where i have all my trees and often go on roots chat for help
Bye for now
Handley (Huddersfield, Thornhill, Bury)
Hutton-Cornish (Huddersfield)
Firth (Huddersfield, Kippax ?)
Whitehead (Sheffield, Huddersfield)
Grater (Dewsbury, Huddersfield, Germany)
Summerscales (Thornhill )

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaz,

Re:- your Reply -In view of your family loss of late! I would advice not to be involved in graveyard hunting!! as it may have effect on you or a run on effect  with your family in view of their grieving process. Also unless you know what to look for!!** as dangers in winter in these resting places of the dead due to sinkage, over growth and unstable headstones in wet muddy winter. Best left to summer and a good stick to test the ground as you walk around, also a good pair of small shears, a heavy type knife to chop (Tell the  Police you have one)undergrowth and good walking boots/shoes.
Contact the police, tell them your intentions as to neighbour hoodwatch and there is a lot of lead been stolen of late on churches.
They are very helpful also they will know where you are in case of your well being as to any accidents and your where-abouts. Many local police will check on you while they are  on their rounds. Also contact the church wardens  as they may have records.

My sincere deepest sympathy

DOB

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 February 14 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if someone can help me find the grave of my great great grandad.He was Edmund Wear 1833-1876.I'm pretty certain he's not in Edgerton Cemetery.At one time he had a business in Far Town,but it failed in 1867 and Edmund was declared bankrupt.I live in Glasgow so I come to look myself.Thanks in advance

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 February 14 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy

I'll put Edmund Wear d 1876 on my to do list, when I go to ancestry repositories in West Yorkshire in coming months as spring is now a coming. If I find anything  ??? I will post info on here but if nothing turns up then I won't. :(

All down to luck!

Dob's

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 February 14 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edmund is not in Edgerton cemetery. there were some Wear's buried in St. Paul's but the graveyard was full by the time of Edmund's death and he was not buried there.
With them living at Fartown and him not being in Edgerton it could be worth a look at Woodhouse Christ Church or a long shot the chapel that was on Deighton Road.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 February 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info on Edmund,I'd be very interested to know the names of the Wears in St Paul's as I've recently found Edmund's siblings.The last address I have in 1871 is York Street and his profession is a cartier.I don't know if that's near any cemetery. I'll leave it up to you local people to see if you can find him.Thanks in advance

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 February 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy

I called at our library in Huddersfield, I've check burials at St Peter, St Paul , Edgerton cemetery consecrated and non consecrated, Holy Trinity, Almondbury cemetery consecrated and non consecrated  and Christchurch Woodhouse burials. St John Birkby near fartown did not do burials and neither did St Mary on old Leeds road (Nearest church to York street) and the is no sign of Edmund's burial 1876. Edmund's sons were baptised together at Christchurch Woodhouse church 1958 in a joint baptisms. York street now long gone was all but opposite Tescos between Bradford road and Leeds road behind Fitzwilliam street in the triangle of the 3 roads/streets.

It's also possible Edmund is buried in a Wear (Weare) family grave in Halifax, he could have been a nonconformist (Very likely in Halifax) and buried in a nonconformist chapel graveyard there in Halifax area.

What I'm thinking is the family moved after the 1871 c, Edmund was born in Halifax and his wife Elizabeth born in Doncaster, they could have moved to another part of Huddersfield, the reason I think this is because it seems Christchurch Woodhouse was their church of worship but Edmund is not buried there which have seemed the likely church,

You really need Edmund's death certificate to find out where he lived at his time of death and the reason he died so young, if it was of fever in a mini epidemic ? then they buried them very fast in multi person fever graves and not always recorded in a cemetery record.

Dob's