Author Topic: Alexander CROMBIE  (Read 33276 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander CROMBIE
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I've just seen the marriage in 1899. I think Alexander b. 1872 was probably already down in England by 1891. There is an entry in Egham, Surrey for an Alexander Crombie, 19 b. Scotland at a boarding school there. Sister Eleanor is proving more elusive!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 13:35 GMT (UK) »
i have seen the one of Alexander b 1871 at Halbrake College.  I have tried googling the college to find out if it was a boarding school, but no such luck yet.  Don't have sister Eleanor either.
This family seems to have moved from scotland to england to scotland and back to england, al,ost as if they could not make up their mind:)

Regards
Jackie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 13:47 GMT (UK) »
jackie

The 1891 entry I was referring to was at Scaitcliffe, Egham Surrey. Not sure what the address is, whether a lodging house for students at another college or what? This Alexander shows as 19 so born c. 1872.

Cannot like you see an entry for Alexander and Mabel in 1901.  There is one Alexander Crumbie born in Scotland 1871 lodging in North England but he shows as single so not your man.

I haven't got access to 'find my past' so can't work through with you on that one sadly. What additional info is included for the 1903 entry?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Jackie

:) Love the description of daughter Mary Elizabeth's wedding: http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/COOKSON/2007-08/1186923981

Her birth entry is case you don't have the refs:

Births Jun 1900   
Crombie    Mary Elizabeth         Tendring    4a   712a

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I've also got the hang of who what where on Thornton Castle:

Thornton Castle, a mansion in Marykirk parish, Kincardineshire, near the right bank of the Black Burn, 3 miles W of Laurencekirk. An ancient Scottish Baronial edifice, bearing date 1531, but supposed to be partly much earlier, it was repaired about 1822, and greatly improved about 1846. John Strachan, knighted in 1375, obtained from his father the lands of Thornton; and Alexander Strachan of Thornton was created a baronet in 1625. The sixth baronet was Admiral Sir Richard Strachan, G.C.B. (1760-1828), distinguished for his naval services.Alex. Crombie, a successful and much-esteemed advocate and land agent in Aberdeen, acquired the property in 1804. He was succeeded by his cousin, the Rev. Alex. Crombie, LL.D., F.R.S. (1760-1840), the author of several well-known works; and his grandson, Alex. Crombie, Esq., W. S. (b. 1836; suc. 1877), holds 2300 acres in the shire, valued at £2632 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 57, 1868.

Source: www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/features/featurehistory4642.html

These now connect with all the Wills & Testaments I was seeing on Scotlands People  ;)

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 14:16 GMT (UK) »
thanks monica.
in the 1903 entry on find my past, it just shows me Alexander Crombie departing from liverpool for cape, south africa. I dont have subscription there either:(
The wedding announcement is so funny:)  But at least it gives us a lot to work from.  I now know that the honeymoon was in Redhouse - just need to find it in Rhodesia; looks like Eleanor the sister of Alexander who was born in 1874 never married; and Mary Elizabeth resided in Rhodesia. Lots of odds and ends in that notice. Thanks for finding it.

I now have a load of information to go through tonight.  Thanks again

Regards
Jackie

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 14:17 GMT (UK) »
did you look in the england or scotland census for 1901 for alexander and mabel?  i think they were in england.

Regards
Jackie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 14:24 GMT (UK) »
That's great Jackie ~ I'm glad that I have added to what you had. Is the lady posting on RootsWeb connected to you? There are another couple of posts from her: http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/SCT-WEST-LOTHIAN/2007-08/1187288513 and http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/SCOTLAND/2007-08/1187298062

Can I suggest re 'find my past' that you put up a new post on the general England board and request a look up for this info from someone who does have access to it. Put a link to this post so that people don't repeat what has already been done!

Regards.

Monica  :)

PS: I looked on both the Scotland and English censuses for them, even searched for daughter Mary E. born 1900, sadly no joy. Not to say they weren't there, I just couldn't easily find them.

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

The lady in question is related to my cousin, but would rather not comment.

I will send a post on the England board, how do i add a link?

Regards
Jackie