Author Topic: Historical family document discovered: Brechin  (Read 27873 times)

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
Historical family document discovered: Brechin
« on: Tuesday 29 January 08 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

A little bit on an odd question perhaps but I wasn't entirely sure where else to post this...

I've been researching my family tree for a number of years but recently my mother discovered a handwritten hardback book in her attic.  This turned out to be a journal written by my Great Great Grandfather, Andrew Brechin, in 1852-3.  In it he describes his life and times in Aberdeen from earliest schooldays up to his getting married and describes many places, people, and events in Aberdeen in the mid-1800's.  I'm in the process of transcribing his book just now and I'd estimate that it'll come to about 20,000 words in total.

Quite apart from the book being an amazing family history document, it's arguably an important historical document for Aberdeen and might bear some limited publication.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to approach this?  I've looked at the Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society web site but it's not obvious whether this would be of interest to them.

Many thanks,
Martin
Auger, Brechin, Comley, Dawson, Guthrie, Hanks, Paterson, Phillips, and Wolfe

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Historical family document discovered: Brechin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin,

Wow, what a terrific find  :) Being from Aberdeen myself, I would definitely be interested in reading the journal if you decide to publish it (which I think you should) and I'm sure that many other people would be too.

As for who else might be interested...I would contact the Local Studies Library in Aberdeen
http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/ACCI/web/site/Libraries/NS/Lib_LocalStudies.asp  I think that they would be able to advise you on publishing it too.

There is also the Aberdeen City Archives
http://www.rootschat.com/links/02m7/  ...records of individuals can be deposited for permanent preservation.

Elaine

Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

What a wonderful discovery  :D.

As I am a Brechin from Aberdeen, it caught my eye obviously, but even without that connection it would have. Please do contact the ANESFHS, I am sure they will give you good advise on what to do about limited publishing. Indeed they have an annual Bruce Henderson award for original genealogy work, and I would think yours would be a wonderful entry for this.

Unfortunately I can find no link to an Andrew Brechin in my family tree, but perhaps their is a distant link further back.

Good luck with your work.

Grothenwell 
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine, Hi Grothenwell,

Thanks for the links Elaine - very useful and I'll certainly be following them up in due course.  There's really two aspects to his book - the first being the publication of the words themselves (together with transcription notes which I'll add as an overlay once I've finished typing it up - currently 11,000 words and counting - since there are some interesting genealogical aspects to it as well as Aberdeen-related points).  The second is the book itself which a local history society might be interested in displaying - but I guess I should deal with the publication first since I'll need the book to prove authenticity perhaps.

I will contact the ANESFHS as well Grothenwell.  And in terms of us being related; well, if you can find any relatives in your tree buried in the Spital Burial Ground (now part of St. Peters) then I'd suggest we talk since I'm related to about 2/3 of them!   ;)  At most I think there were only 2 or 3 distinct families of Brechins in Aberdeen in the 1800's...

Best regards,
Martin

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

If and when you have the book published, please can you post a message, letting people know about it, as I'm sure you will have many takers.

My interest in Brechins is, as far as I know, from further afield in the county rather than Aberdeen city so would be very interested to know if you have, in your Brechin line, any who hailed from the Methlick area.

Regards

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Not Methlick per se but probable connections in Tarves and New Deer - neither of which are a million miles away.  I suspect that there's a common root somewhere in there but finding anything with any certainty pre-1800 is difficult at best!

Martin

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

All I know is that Mary Brechin married William Crichton, 10th Feb 1798, Methlick and died 15th November, 1826, Methlick. which means, of course, that she could have been born anywhere within striking distance.
If you come across any likely candidates, I should be immensely grateful as she has been a sticking point for ages.

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Let me look at it and get back to you Jen.  I haven't much explored the pre-1800 Brechin connections much because a) I had to re-investigate that section of tree when my G.G.Grandfather's book pointed out an error I'd made previously, and b) because without censii and death records, pre-1800's often becomes educated guesswork at best usually!  LOL  A Mary does vaguely ring a bell somewhere but I've seen way too many names over the years to be sure of anything any more!

Martin

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that would be kind. No hurry, I have waited a long time so a bit longer won't hurt.

Jen