Author Topic: Historical family document discovered: Brechin  (Read 27863 times)

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
Re: Historical family document discovered: Brechin
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 10:54 BST (UK) »
Just an update on this...  I sent the transcription to ANESFHS and they acknowledged receipt and said they'd look at it.  I followed up a few months later.  Nothing.  That was 2 years ago.  I chased them again a couple of months back and they again said they'd look at it.  No further response.

I guess I have to assume that they're simply not interested for whatever reason.  Can anyone suggest any other bodies worth approaching please?

Many thanks,
Martin
Auger, Brechin, Comley, Dawson, Guthrie, Hanks, Paterson, Phillips, and Wolfe

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
I feel bad about this Martin, I can't comment on your case as you obviously have a different experience. But in all my dealings with the ANESFHS they have been nothing but helpful; we should remember they are all volunteers working for their love of genealogy and the north east of Scotland. I can only suggest now that you try a more commercial aspect and perhaps try The Leopard: Email

enquiries@leopardmag.co.uk

Leopard
Auld Logie
Pitcaple
Inverurie
Aberdeenshire AB51 5EE

Telephone 01467 681678

I have had the great pleasure of reading your work on Andrew's journal, and it certainly deserves a wide audience not only for it's historical importance but because it is a thoroughly good page turner.

Good luck,

Grothenwell.

Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
You could always self-publish it.  I know that there are perhaps money issues in doing this, but you should get some quotes from publishers.  You should be able to find information online which would be able to help in advising you about how to go about it.

Have you thought about what to do with the original journal?

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
Great find, but must be very frustrating not to see it in print after more than two years.

It reminds me of The Diary of John Sturrock, Millwright, Dundee 1864-65.  He was my 1st cousin, 4x removed.  It's described as "unique source material for students of Victorian Britain at all levels."  I don't think it's any longer in print, but in the nineties Tuckwell Press were printing it.  Perhaps it might be worth contacting Tuckwell Press about the diary you have.

Alternatively, try to contact the head of the department of modern history (or similar) of the Aberdeen universities.  They might be able to put you in touch with someone.

Tim

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies.  I've emailed The Leopard and Tuckwell Press (now part of Birlinn Ltd.) and we'll see what comes back.  I've also looked into self-publishing a little...  Yes, there are financial implications but it may well be an option worth considering.

As regards the original journal itself, it's currently residing fairly securely in a fireproof safe.  However my thinking was - once this is hopefully resolved - that the best place for it would probably be with Aberdeen City Archives.  Thoughts?

Best regards,
Martin

Offline t1m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:42 BST (UK) »
Aberdeen City Archives would be my first call, or perhaps a local museum.  It depends on the content, but I suspect that the more that is written about the daily life of Aberdeen, the more interesting they would find it.  You probably have something unique, and I think they'll be thrilled to have it.

Tim

PS Assuming it is published by someone, I look forward to reading it.

Offline Scottish FH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,
                I am the email secretary from anesfhs and have just been shown this site and the emails starting nearly 2 years ago.
It’s certainly unacceptable the time scale since your original email.
               There is a committee meeting tomorrow evening when I will bring up this sad tale.
In defence of the volunteer who seems to be dealing? with your diary. They are one of the busiest volunteers who probably try’s to do too much and some things take a back seat. This is no excuse though. Sorry you have had this bad experience and can assure you that any email addressed to the society’s                                      enquiries[at]anesfhs.org.uk                          are usually replied to within 24 hours.(that's because I deal with the enquiries emails) Can you email me direct at the society's enquiries email address and I will let you know what is happening.
John
Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Many thanks for getting involved.  I've sent you an email as you requested at the address above.

Kind regards,
Martin

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
Things are looking up, Martin. Here's hoping for success soon.

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson