Author Topic: Historical family document discovered: Brechin  (Read 27811 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Historical family document discovered: Brechin
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin I am not a Brechin or even from Scotland but I would love to read your book it sounds absolutely fascinating. Have been so intrigued just reading the posts. I wish you every success and do let us know how you fare,congratulations on such a tremendous find. Kindest regards sue

Offline AndyDoesWords

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 01 February 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
It's a long time since there has been a post on this. I'm a writer looking for social documents that detail everyday life in Aberdeen mid 1800s. Did you ever publish Martin?

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
I didn't as I couldn't justify the cost.  However, I'm now thinking of publishing an eBook version only and am actively looking into that.  Will update if this goes further.
Auger, Brechin, Comley, Dawson, Guthrie, Hanks, Paterson, Phillips, and Wolfe

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Did you ever try the National Library of Scotland as a possibly repository/custodian of the original book?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Not yet.  Perhaps once it's published I will but until then I might need to refer to it.

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

After much time (almost 10 years!), I am please to be able to confirm that his journal is now live on Amazon.  Currently as a Kindle eBook only, I'm looking into getting a paperback version made available too - but that may take me a few more weeks...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0711BF17F/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1493750259&sr=1-1&keywords=my+schools+and+schooldays

Any questions; please shout.

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 06 May 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know Martin. I've spent the afternoon reading it and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm so glad that you decided to go ahead with it in ebook form. I have ancestors who were living in Aberdeen at roughly the same time and it certainly brings to life what it was like then. It was also really interesting to hear of the streets and places that no longer exist.
Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 07 May 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Glad you enjoyed it!   :)

I'm continuing to work on the paperback version (mostly formatting stuff) and will probably issue an update to the eBook around the same time (I think Amazon offers free updates to people that have already downloaded).

I'm also discussing with Aberdeen Archives about them holding the original journal there.  Would allow anyone that wants to view it for research purposes to do so.  Again, hope to have news on this in the next week or two.

Martin