Author Topic: My Barnsley Family  (Read 4131 times)

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Barnsley Family
« on: Tuesday 29 January 08 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone as any idea why my  Chappell family should be in France in the early 1860's.I have the parents birth and details of their marraige and the 1841 and 1851 census .Their 4 eldest children were born between 1847 and 1857 in Barnsley Yorkshire the 3 youngest children were all born in France between 1859 and 1866 by the 1871 census they are back in Barnsley and the head of the family is the mother and she is a widow. I have the rest of the census and have followed the family upto them getting married so I'm not asking anyone to search the census.The head of the family was a power loom weaver is this why they went abroad  ? as anybody else  had this happen in their family tree or does anybody know how i can search for them in France.
Regards Carolanne
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Horn/Horne- Barnsley-Silkstone-Thurgoland
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Barnsley Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 08 18:43 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Carolanne,
                        I can't really help I'm afraid except to proffer a couple of
   ideas.  The Power loom was introduced to Barnsley in 1837 and several
  factories sprang up.  The Linen and cloth from these factories was exported
  World wide and especially to continental Europe.
                       I also think that Looms made by such firms as Wilson & Longbottoms
   were exported abroad.

It could be that they went to France to show them how to operate some
  machinery that had been exported ( A bit like a company Rep. ) or to take
   advantage of the weaving Industries that were opening up there that would
   require skilled workers.

Tomkin

P.S. If you look at Barnsleys coat of arms you will see 2 shuttles that represent
           the 19th century Linen industry for which it was famous.

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Tomkin
Thanks very much for your reply and explanation I did wonder if it was to with his occupation. To say I'm from Barnsley doesn't say much for me not to notice whats on the coat of arms  ??? I'll go have a look now.
Regards Carolanne
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline Loumul

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 February 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
My family are also Chappells from Barnsley. My dad did some research a number of years ago and also found records of children born in France. He thought they were boot makers by trade and presumed they had gone for work, possibly attached to the army. I will check the notes he made at the time and see if he found out any more.

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 February 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
There's been a lot of water flowing under the bridge in the past 10 years and a lot of alterations I can remember asking about these Chappell's but going back to this family just now I can't see any born in France, so I need to check everyone again hope they haven't gone out shopping or down to the pub.
DUH  :-[ it would help if I'd looked in the correct tree, they are Power Loom Weavers well the head of the family is and that was the reason for asking.   
Regards Carolanne
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline LadyDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 March 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
Good evening Carolanne  💐

No rush for this request Carolanne. I wondered if you would be good enough do carry out a search for me in Barnsley Cemetery?

I found the birth of a “Katie Kelly” 1892 in Barnsley 9c p243. Sadly I found that little Katie died in 1883 9c p163. I’m wondering if she is part of my Kelly family and therefore would be buried in section Za where the rest of my Kelly family are resting, albeit in various graves. Would you mind having a look for me? I also have family named Stockton who are buried in section Za that you kindly found for me a few years ago.

When it is safe to do so I have planned to meet members of the family still living in Barnsley at Barnsley Cemetery to try and find the graves of our ancestors. Although, last time I looked Za  was just a large grassy area with no indication of grave plots/numbers. Any advice would be helpful Carolanne, thank you.

I hope you are keeping safe and well during these challenging times, i think it will be a while before people trust to life in the new normal, slowly but surely! Have a lovely Easter🐣🐰🐥

Looking forward to hearing from you

Very best wishes Dawn 🌈💐

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn
Sorry but I've only just seen this, since I got a new laptop my Barnsley Burial Records don't work like they use to but I'll have a go if not I'll ask my cousin to have a look tomorrow. If we can find the plot number you need to get in touch with the main office at Barnsley Crematorium they have all the plots listed and they used to when asked send you a print out with the plot marked.
I'm keeping safe and well thanks.
Take care
Carol
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline LadyDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 18:51 BST (UK) »

Thank you Carolanne, much appreciated 🌈💐🌞 Dawn

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn
I've managed to get in but can't see a burial for a Katie Kelly in Barnsley Cemetery, did you know that the GRO index now gives the mothers maiden name this might help you finding out if she's one of yours. I've just looked for the one you have listed and the mothers maiden name is Egan.
Regards
Carol
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley