Author Topic: Link: Angmering & nearby villages - all censuses 1841 - 1901  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Link: Angmering & nearby villages - all censuses 1841 - 1901
« on: Wednesday 30 January 08 02:57 GMT (UK) »
http://www.familytreedesigns.co.uk/angmering.htm

The website is that of a small family history business.  I have no opinion on its services - I have never used them - they may be very good, but I don't know.  This post is not a recommendation.

Scroll down to the lower half of the page reached via the above link.  The site has transcriptions of all Angmering, Clapham, East Preston, Kingston and Patching censuses from 1841 to 1901 inclusive.  From the small sample I checked, the transcriptions seem pretty accurate, but are slightly edited - for example, one of my ancestors has his surname correctly transcribed (when this proved illegible to another transcriber at the Angmering Village Life website) but at the same time his suffix "snr" has been omitted.

These census data are intended to form part of a larger project centered on Angmering.  The site promises that the project will be "constantly" updated. 

There's no name index to the censuses that I could find, but it's easy enough to use your browser's "Find" function.

Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Link: Angmering Memorial Inscriptions for St Margarets and St Wilfreds Churches
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 July 08 10:57 BST (UK) »
The excellent AVL website in its "History Centre" now has monumental inscriptions at St Margaret's, Angmering.

http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/churchyard_inscriptions.htm

Not all parts of the churchyard are yet covered, but this is an on-going project and the omitted areas will be added in due course.

Don't forget that MIs at St Wilfrid's RC Cemetery in the village have long been part of the site.

http://www.angmeringvillage.co.uk/history/Wilfrids_cemetery.htm

Stovepipe

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Angmering MIs online
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 08 04:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Stovepipe.

I have used that site in the past looking for Jupp and Gratwick families, but thought that I had drained it of info.  Wouldn't have looked again.

mcmpipe
PIPE, CABLE, STANLEY, WATSON, East Anglia
BARTON, JUPP, WOOD, MUNN, PETERS, MARTIN, Kent & Sussex
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: Angmering MIs online
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 August 08 10:23 BST (UK) »
It's a site worth revisiting, IMHO.  Updates to its history section may not be frequent, but they do happen occasionally and are always good quality.

And I know from personal experience that if he can assist then the site owner (Neil) is very helpful and responds quickly to requests for Angmering-specific information made through the site's message boards or by email to him.