Author Topic: Touzelin/Touzalin 1850s  (Read 6624 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Touzelin/Touzalin 1850s
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 February 08 21:57 GMT (UK) »
29 Jan 1827, Jean Brunet, shoemaker, aged 50, cousin of the deceased, and Victor Riveau, goldsmith, aged 47, friend of the deceased, declare the death of Alexandre Touzalin, aged 18 years 10 months, son of Joseph Touzalin, merchant, and Charlotte Gaudeau. (Some more info added afterwards which I don't understand).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 February 08 23:05 GMT (UK) »
You're the Duracell Bunny!   ;D

Do you have any translation for Joseph's marriage?  (1802-1803 marriages, p38 in viewer)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 February 08 01:07 GMT (UK) »
2 Ventôse, XI  (republican calendar)

Marriage act of Joseph Touzalin, goldsmith, born 20 July 1780, legitimate son of Louis Touzalin (carpenter), and Jeanne de la Croix, residing in this town at Rue Grande.
 and of Marie Charlotte, natural child, born 27 July 1780, of Marie Anne Girault ditte S???? and legitimised by act of adoption (??) Jacques Benjamin Martineau, public officer, 9 Frimaire II, residing in this town at du Marche.

Publications of proposal of marriage, having been made at the Mairie on the 17th (of this month?), and (in accordance with the law?), the birth acts of the parties and the act of adoption having been affixed (presents and declares intent to marry?)

In the presence of Louis Touzalin, baker, brother of the groom, Francois Xavier Victor Touzeau, locksmith, cousin of the groom, Marie Anne Girault dite Sim????, mother of the bride, and Louis Borreau, merchant, friend of the bride.

Marie Charlotte's baptism is at Notre Dame, Châtellerault:
27 Jul 1780, baptised Marie Charlotte (not sure what it says), Anne Lagaine widow of Pigeau the shoemaker (think she brought the child), Marie Anne Girault (more stuff I can't read) clerk of the parish of St. Jean Baptiste (Châtellerault), on the 15th April presented, something about a Martineau also.

Had a quick look, couldn't find Joseph.

21 Feb 1802 (30 Ventose)
death of Marie Charlotte Girault, aged 58, daughter of Francois Girault and Marie Simon, resident Rue Cheval Blanc. Declaration made by Joseph Touzalin, goldsmith, son in law of the deceased, and Joseph Fortune Papilliault, proprietor, neighbour of the deceased.

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 February 08 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much!  Interesting.  I wonder how Gaudeau fits in.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 February 08 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Gaudeau was her father's surname, and she started using that at some point? I don't know if it's saying that Jacques Benjamin Martineau adopted her, or if he was just the official involved. Someone with more experience interpreting these/better French might be able to help translate things properly.

Found one more child, presumably the first born:
1 Pluviôse XII, birth act of Philippine Touzalin, parents Joseph Touzalin, goldsmith, and Charlotte Godeau, residing at Rue de Cheval Blanc in this town, witnesses Louis Touzalin, carpenter, paternal grandfather of the infant, and Charles Jacques Martin, merchant, friend of the parents.

Also the marriage of his brother:
10 Messidor VII:
Marriage of Louis Touzalin, baker, aged 24 years and seven months, and Marie Guillou, aged 25. Witnesses include Louis Touzalin, carpenter, aged 58, and Jeanne de la Croix aged 61, parents of the groom.

The groom was born 17 Nov 1774, in the parish of St. Jean Baptiste, Châtellerault, legitimate child of Louis Touzalin and Jeanne de la Croix.

Going back to the English records, there are some at the NA that might help:
Aliens Act, 1836: Certificates of Aliens (HO 2), 1836-1852
These are bound-up original certificates of arrival of individual aliens in England and Scotland, arranged under the ports of arrival. Each certificate gives the alien’s nationality, profession, date of arrival and last country visited, with his signature and occasionally other details.

Good news, perhaps: the NA catalogue entry for HO 2 suggests that access to parts of this series are currently disrupted - because they are being digitised. They may eventually appear on www.nationalarchives.gov/documentsonline

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 February 08 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. 

I will definitely have to check back at the Archives site to see if those records have been digitalized!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline
(Correct link in case there are lurkers)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 February 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Teach me to watch what I type!

http://archives.cg33.fr/lecture/ec.asp - it seems the Bordeaux Tables décennales are online, the site seems to be very slow-loading, I tried looking at the marriages, didn't see any Touzalins.

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 February 08 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks. 

I'm not really coming across the Defressine name in Bordeaux, although I did spot 1 death in 1865.  Is it just the tables that are online?  I suppose Ed could have been from anywhere in the general area of Bordeaux, or that info could certainly be incorrect.  I'll have to check more of the records in that long list of towns.

I looked a little at Indre.  Typed tables!  There are definitely DeFressines there (Le Blanc), but in records that don't cover late enough.  Plus, I'm only seeing marriages.
http://www.cyberindre.org/jahia/Jahia/portail/archives/pid/8113

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 February 08 23:27 GMT (UK) »
It looks like for some of the places the full records are online (not going very late though - up to 1853 or something like that, which doesn't surprise me - I've heard it's because sometimes marginal notes are made about later events which could possibly mention things that happened within the past 100 years). It seems that the Gironde records have only gone up recently and are still being updated. That's true for many of these sources.

http://memorhom.site.voila.fr/index.htm - this seems to be a good source for finding online sources.