Author Topic: Touzelin/Touzalin 1850s  (Read 6632 times)

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Touzelin/Touzalin 1850s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 February 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Do you see a Joseph marriage, 1803?  Not sure if that's the right gal.

That was from the index, but I found the actual record.  I don't understand it, LOL, but it looks like her name.  Cool.  :)

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 February 08 19:36 GMT (UK) »
I see Adolphe's birth in the index (and the back index), but can't seem to find the record. 

OK, found that too.  ;)  Getting a better feel for this. 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 February 08 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I tried to translate the full record for that Adolphe death in 1864. I don't really speak French but the records tend to follow a format so I say I understand 'genealogical French'. :D

1864, the 6th March, at half-past-noon, in front of Adolphe Pingault (official of Châtellerault)
Jean Arnault, aged 58, and Pierre Bangec, aged 70, two poor (pauper?) inhabitants of the civil and military hospital of this commune, declare Adolphe Touzalin, without profession, aged 59, born Châtellerault, husband of Clarisse Ardouin, son of the late Joseph Touzalin, merchant, and of the late Charlotte Gaudeau, is deceased, and we also (something I can't read), five am, at the said hospice, (can't quite make out but I believe this is saying they confirm and sign).

Still can't find any marriage for him in Châtellerault. I wonder if he might have been in the military or otherwise travelling about.

I would suggest it might be worth going through the years, noting down all the Touzain's in the index, and checking to see if any have father Adolphe. At least, if you can find some who are also the children of Clarisse, you might find that he had some born to her before Leonide's birth, in which case this is the wrong Adolphe. Or you might find a sibling to Leonide. I'll have a look later.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 February 08 01:14 GMT (UK) »
checked Châtellerault,
Touzalin:
marriages 1825-1871 inclusive (indexes of 1825-1827 hard to read, maybe missed some) - can't see any marriages of children of Joseph and Charlotte, or any with father Adolphe, or any for Adolphe.

Also when flicking through birth indexes: there are siblings of Adolphe:

9 May 1807, Alexandre, son of Joseph Touzalin, goldsmith, and Charlotte Godeau, resident Rue du Cheval Blanc.

8 Jun 1809, Victorine, daughter of Joseph Touzalin, goldsmith, and Charlotte Godeau, resident Rue du Cheval Blanc
(d. 5 Oct 1809)

1 Apr 1812, Charles, son of Joseph Touzalin, goldsmith, and Charlotte Gaudeau, resident Rue du Cheval Blanc

9 Dec 1815, Charlotte, daughter of Joseph Touzalin, goldsmith, and Charlotte Godeau, resident ville Rue du Cheval Blanc. One of the witnesses is her uncle, Louis Touzalin.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 February 08 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Jorose - the site worked for me with Firefox. 

Lizzie

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 February 08 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, actually, it works in Firefox on one computer for me but not the other.  ::) One of them must need updating.

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 February 08 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the translations and all of the additional research!!  This is cool stuff.  :)

I'm having a tough time finding the birth records when only a date is given in the index.  Do you have any tips on that?

I'm not seeing any children for Adolphe, at least not what I've checked so far.

Do you know what other French localities have records online like this?

Thanks again!
Cheryl

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 February 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »
The date should usually be in the first line of the records; so I go near to where I think it should be (i.e. for July, I pick an image somewhere in the middle), then I check one of the records to see which date is given. Then scroll in the correct direction until it's found.

I wonder if anywhere in the area had a high concentration of goldsmiths - I suspect the whole family moved out of the area by the 1820s, possibly because Joseph had a chance to move his work to a larger city.

http://herage.org/ - appears to be the genealogical society for the area.

edit: Vendee has stuff online, some of the other departments as well. Look for "Archives départementales" + name of the department - some of them don't even have websites! You can also get some indexed info from www.patro.com but I've never been able to work out how the payment system works.

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 February 08 20:18 GMT (UK) »
OK, thanks.  City- Well, Leonide's mom (Caroline/Camille Neale) was supposed to be from Paris.  Wonder why Adolphe (seemingly) went back and died in Châtellerault.