Author Topic: Hugh Pearce c1837 & Margaret Hill c1835 Lurgan Coctrinagh  (Read 4046 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hugh Pearce c1837 & Margaret Hill c1835 Lurgan Coctrinagh
« on: Friday 01 February 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi any info on the families of Hugh Pearce and Margaret Hill both born Lurgan would be much appreciated, their daughter Mary is my 2 x great grandmother and the family came to England settling in Huddersfield but other than this 1881 census there is no info on Hugh and Margaret although from the census she does appear to have a sister Elizabeth and I have been told that Hugh and Margaret probably married around 1853, this is therir 1881 census return any other census returns would be appreciated

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Thanks
Julie 

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Pearce c1837 & Margaret Hill c1835 Lurgan Coctrinagh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 08 20:18 GMT (UK) »
julie, you have posted on the  wrong board it should have went on the armagh board.

marriage. HUGH PIERCE AGE 22.  TO MARGARET HILL AGE 21. 6-6-1852. @ SHANKILL COFI SHANKILL,  LURGAN, ARMAGH.

FATHERS. HUGH PIERCE & WILLIAM HILL.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 08 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

Many thanks for your reply, I'll put another post on Armagh, as you can tell I'm not very good on Irish geography.  I notice you have Doherty in your family if you come across any called Michael moving to the Sunderland/Newcastle area in the 1840's/50's let me know, I've no idea where my paternal great great grandfather came from rumour has it Cork but my great great grandmother Ellen Jones whose daughter Annie married Michaels son Patrick (gets complicated doesn't it!) could either have come from Sunderland or Ireland too it says Sunderland in some census returns and Ireland in others.

I've managed to find the other census returns for Hugh and Margaret after my original post, there's only one thing that seems strange, their ages going by all the census returns would make them around 1835-1837, yet they are 21 and 22 at the time of their marriage perhaps they lied so they wouldn't need their fathers' permission to marry as they would have been around 16/17 at the time (going by the census returns) I still haven't found a birth for either of them yet, or been able to track their father's births to get the right area/batch numbers.

Julie

Offline Mikemullio1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I too am looking at Patrick Doherty of Sunderland son of Michael and Rose Doherty. Born in Donegal Ireland. Their eldest daughter - my great grandmother  married in Ireland but the parents and the remaining children emigrated to Northumberland and the family grave is in Wooler RC cemetery. Patrick is one of those I have yet to confirm and the nearest I got to a possibility was a Patrick a gas stoker living in Emma St. The main reason I have him under the spotlight is that his first two children have the same names as his parents namely Michael who died in 1901 almost 100 followed by his eldest son in 1902 and the mother Rose in the same year. I have visited the grave in Northumberland and have made contact with Doherty Relations in Morpheth, Leeds and Hull. I am a direct descendant through Brigdet Doherty who married a James O'KANE.

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

There were 2 Patrick Dochertys living around the Sunderland area, mine had children Michael, Mary, Thomas William, Ellen Bridget, Joseph, Robert, Sarah, James, Patrick and Rose so some of the names you mentioned do tie in with your family names, Michael was Patricks father from details on Patricks wedding certificate, Patrick seems to be born in Northumberland around 1856, but I don't have him living Emma Street, mine lived in Etterick Place Sunderland before that he lived with the Bowman family.  I can't find him in 1901 and he is a ship riveter not a gas fitter so if he isn't the one you are looking for please let me know.

Offline Mikemullio1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Julie. I wrote a long reply which has disappeared- maybe I posted it by mistake. In brief your Patrick might suit my search. PATRICK was living in the family home in Lowick Northumberland having left Ireland sometime after 1864 as the youngest aged 7 was born in Ireland according to 1871 census.
Thus my Patrick would be 34 in 1891
44 in 1901
54 in 1911. I found a Patrick in Stockton on Tees born c 1846 - the year is correct in 1881. Patrick married to Mary was aged 54  residing in Emma St Sunderland  in 1911 with children Rose, Michael, Joseph, Frances and baby Charles (  4 of the names of his brother and sisters in Lowick- assuming the Joseph may have been Mary the wife's father/brother name. This could be the same Patrick. Finally I found in 1901 a Patrick and Mary with children Rose, Michael, Isabella, Mary and Joseph. With the exception of Isabella all the names match with the older children but Patrick is aged 39 when he was in fact 44 if the same person. In 1901 their address was 21 Norman Rd Bishop's Mouth Sunderland who may have moved to Emma St between 1901 and 1911. The only certainty is that he was24 in 1887. I wonder if this fits in with your search as his father was Michael -same as your marriage cert. Hope this of help and as clear as mud. M

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 January 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news your Patrick is the other Patrick, mine married Annie Jones illegitimate daughter of Ellen, my Patrick lived in Sunderland from 1881 onwards,

1891 4 Etterick Place Patrick Doherty 50 Riveter (ship) born Newcastle Ann  49 (born Sunderland as all others) Mary A 1Michael Ellen  Josh  Robert Sarah  Kate James

Here's a mystery no 1901 census for Patrick and Annie but the children were living with their Aunt Mary, she is noted as mother but must be Annie's sister  Mary A Docherty 40 Mary  Michael Joseph Robert  Sarah  Katie  James  Rose  all born Sunderland. Why Sarah and her siblings were living with Mary I do not know

in 1911 Patrick lived at New Grey St Sunderland and Annie unfortunately was a resident of Ryhope institution

There must be a connection between our families Michael definitely came from Ireland, his children before Patrick were to Mary Hanlon and bapt in Newcastle, , but the names in our families are so similar that there will be a connection somewhere it's just finding it.  I need to  get Patricks birth certificate I think it was 1856 in Newcastle that he was born but like your Patrick the ages seem to be wrong sometimes.

Julie

Offline Mikemullio1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Dear Julie
This is my third attempt at a reply. I keep losing my script.
Sorry we didn't have a match. I was wondering if you ever managed to get any of the baptismal certs from the Church that was closed? I have family connections with the same church in Sunderland but don't have a contact.
Re Irish connection the Doherty clan originates in Donegal and with Derry/Londonderry being the industrial hub many Dohertys live in Derry. The Doherty clan (O'Dochartaig is the Gaelic spelling and mostly Roman Catholic) have a clan Doherty meeting in Buncrana in County Donegal but most of them are Americans and they have a clan websites. Good luck with your search. Michael