Author Topic: What was happening in Kilkenny in 1873  (Read 5821 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
What was happening in Kilkenny in 1873
« on: Friday 01 February 08 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can Any body help?

I have just received from the Public Record office at Kew England the discharge papers of a John Audley who was discharged from what I believe is the Royal Leinster Regiment of Foot (bit difficult to read) on 30th April 1783 at Kilkenny.

What was happening at Kilkenny in 1782 to 1783? The John Audley was only in the regiment for seven months and when discharged in 1783 was 42 years old. He seems to have been in the regiment for a very short period of time and would have been 41 when he enlisted!! He was born in King's county The reason for discharge is given as 'having no further service for him'. My knowlege of Irish history is poor can you please help fill the gap?
Many thanks for your help
Regards
Brian Audley
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What was happening in Kilkenny in 1783
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 08 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry All I should have said 1783 in the title.
Regards
Brian

Offline emaudley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was happening in Kilkenny in 1873
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 12 04:25 BST (UK) »
Brian,

Based on some research, 1782/83 was the period of revolution in the US (colonies at that time) I came across this article that reference this period in Ireland.  The article was about the period leading up to the Irish rebellion in 1798. In the 1782/83 period there was an increase in recruitment in Ireland for fear of France might invade after it sided with the colonist in a war against England. 

"When France joined the Americans in support of their Revolutionary War, London called for volunteers to join militias to defend Ireland against the threat of invasion from France (since regular British forces had been dispatched to America). Many thousands joined the Irish Volunteers. In 1782 they used their newly powerful position to force the Crown to grant the landed Ascendancy self-rule and a more independent parliament ("Grattan's Parliament")."

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 May 12 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for your message.
I hope you have got my e-mail message about the Audleys of Galway!!! The other Audley families I am aware od are based in 'The Rower' county Kilkenny and Waterford

Regards
Brian

Offline rodc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 November 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
An addition to your posting re: British Army
The phrase: " having no further use for [him]" had it's more modern terminology expressed in the 1960s as "service no longer required" or SNLR stamped on the discharge papers. The reasons for that were unlimited and solely determined by generally the regimental commander & senior NCOs.
Hope that helps.
Rodc