Author Topic: Broombank Tarland, Aboyne.  (Read 17874 times)

Offline BlessedBe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Broombank Tarland, Aboyne.
« on: Sunday 03 February 08 16:01 GMT (UK) »
My Anderson Clan were long time dwellers & crofters at  the Croft Broombank, (photo attached). There were lots of them & they appear on countless census's ......way into the early 1900's proving thus.

The Croft is still standing & is situated just outside Tarland, to the North East, just off the B9119. Broombank sits on the northern side of the B road, up a hill, not far from from Culsh / Souterrain / Craskins to the south.

The dwelling is located up a farm track leading off to Alamein Farm & then up to Broombank & then further up track, way up the hill is Hillhead.

Does anyone know of any history attached to the farm or in fact anyone who lived there. The main names being George Anderson B. 1933 Logie Coldstone & his wife Isabella (nee Coutts) B. 1853, Auchdoir & their offspring, particularly Annie Elizabeth Anderson, B. Broombank, Tarland 1886...D.1983 & buried in St Moluags, Tarland.

Thanks to all & Regards..... SFA.

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
Re: Broombank Tarland, Aboyne.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 08 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi SWA

I have ancestors from Tarland. One of them is Ann Anderson who married James Bey. James appears in the 1841 census with his daughter, Christian, living in Tarland, occupation Crofter. Ann must have died before this as there is no mention of her.

As you say there are many Andersons in Tarland. I have been unable to find out anything about her. Does she figure in your family tree at all? She would have been born around 1765 ish. They were married in 1788.

Other names in my tree from Tarland are Smith and Gauld.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline BlessedBe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean,

Thanks for replying.

Sad to say that your Annie doesn't appear in my tree yet. I've only gone back as far as 1785 with my Anderson tribe, as yet. Most of which came from in & around Logie-Coldstone... until they entered Tarland, although Logie's  not a million miles away I know.

I'll bear you in mind as I progress back further....& Rgds.

Offline ellie 24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
hiya i have registered to this site because i saw ur post, it turns out that i might be looking for the same people as yourself,one of George Anderson's children was my great grandads mother or at last i think she was its not Annie but its the eldest child Maggie born 1879 in tarland as they all were. in the 1891 census, Maggie was 12 Annie was 5 James was 3 harry was 10 and baby Isabella was 9mth there was another child who's name i can not read because of the writing. i notice it was a while ago that u posted but wondered if u might still use this site and if i am correct in thinking its the same family.not sure if the dates tally thou.

Offline BlessedBe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Ellie 24,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we are connected to the same family. On the 1891 Census you refer to, I have.....

George ANDERSON - Head
Isabella ANDERSON (maiden name COUTTS) - Wife
Annie Elizabeth Thomson Collie ANDERSON - Daughter.......my line.
Maggie (Margaret) ANDERSON - Daughter
Alice Jane Ward ANDERSON - Daughter
Harry ANDERSON - Son
James Coutts ANDERSON- Son.
Isabella Coutts ANDERSON -Daughter...........All born Tarland.

Other children of the family are...................

George ANDERSON - born Cushnie - 1875
Mary ANDERSON - born Tarland - 1891- died 1891
Alexander ANDERSON - born Tarland - 1872
Jane ANDERSON - born Tarland - 1876

Hope this helps & if you need any more info send me a private message via this website & we'll talk again......&Rgds

Offline ellie 24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
yes that helps alot,i did not see the other children on the census therefore i wouldn't have known about them.
there is something iam rather stuck on with Maggie thou and i have no idea where to get the info i need.
because iam new to the site i have to post 3 posts before i can pm you,thank u for Ur reply.hope to keep in touch. rgds.

Offline BlessedBe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Again,

Glad to be of help. I got the other siblings of Margaret from other Census's 1881-1901 (although Margaret doesn't appear on the 1901 (she must have moved away from home).

You can get this info from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Its a pay to veiw site and 30 credits cost about £6.00. You can also obtain her birth info from this site. I hold quite a lot of data re the family and have gone quite away back as I've been a gen freak since 1999. I also have an Ancestry.co.uk/.com account and have got limited info from there.

If you reply to this note then you can PM me for any info/help (if I can) you wish........I'll be pleased to assist where possible.

Meanwhile......I am given to understand that Margaret may have died in 1969? & was married with children..... & Regards. (P.S......I'm away in a minute for a few days & will be back at the weekend & I'll reply to you on my return)

Offline ellie 24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
hello,i have been looking thou Scotland's people to find most of my information (not that i have alot) i couldnt find her on the 1901 census either but she had a baby in 1899 when she was 20 i think before she got married to a Charles rattray i don't think Ive spelt his name right as i cant make it out on the document.
i will pm u with my question.thank you for helping me. :)

Offline BlessedBe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Ellie,

Thanks for your reply........Did you PM me as I didn't receive it if you did.

Your quite correct regarding her marriage to Charles RATTRAY (marriage abt 1912). Children of the marriage are Charles, James, Nora, Alexander.......all RATTRAY'S. I also believe that she may have been married also to someone called ..........? GREIG. I need to investigate this to establish the facts further.

Do you want any info regarding her siblings and parents?.........& Regards.