Author Topic: David Robinson and Jane Park Porter  (Read 5942 times)

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Robinson and Jane Park Porter
« on: Monday 04 February 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any further information on this family

Married 1869 at Carrickfergus, David Robinson of Altilevelly Raloo and Jane Park Porter of Woodburn Carrickfergus both fathers were Edward from the information I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Helena

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Robinson and Jane Park Porter
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 08 13:27 GMT (UK) »
IGI lists 3 records for children of David Robinson + Jane Porter:
1. Marian Eliza born 5 Sept.1870 Co.Antrim
2. Robert James bvorn 17 Oct.1872 Ballycarry dist., Co.Antrim
3. Martha born 13 Mar.1879 Templeconan,   , Co.Antrim
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 08 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any further information on this family

Married 1869 at Carrickfergus, David Robinson of Altilevelly Raloo and Jane Park Porter of Woodburn Carrickfergus both fathers were Edward from the information I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Helena

I can confirm their marriage details and two of the children listed by "aghadowey", from Emerald ancestors.com. I will send these details in a PM.

OTTO

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 08 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you aghadowey and Otto, the question, is this David a Raloo Robinson, a visitor, a connection to them in the past or someone working on the farm in Altilevelly from another area.

My family are from this area and the name David Robinson can be found in Raloo, the name Edward I have not come accross before. It could be a name on the mothers line.

Both fathers were Weavers, all my family were Farmers does anyone know if families that were farmers would have had sons that were Weavers and if they did would they have moved around.

Does anyone know what the life of a Weaver was about, where would they have done the weaving back in the early 1800's and somewhere I read they were poets is this correct.

Thanks
Helena

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 April 08 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

Both fathers were Weavers, all my family were Farmers does anyone know if families that were farmers would have had sons that were Weavers and if they did would they have moved around.

Does anyone know what the life of a Weaver was about, where would they have done the weaving back in the early 1800's and somewhere I read they were poets is this correct.

Thanks
Helena

Hello Helena,

Your farming ancestors would have been poets and weavers as well .... a little bit of multitasking never did a body any harm. A great many families in Co. Antrim had small cottage industries and all the family were involved including the children. Farming, maybe the playing of a musical instrument or two, poetry, singing and weaving were combined. People today miss so much ... despite all the modern technology there's a different quality of life today. If people had as many skills as they had at one time maybe factories wouldn't be closing and work going overseas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_industry#Cottage_industry

Robinson - Griffiths Valuation - Antrim 1861-62 Raloo Parish.
John, Ballyfore 
John, Ballyrickard More 
Mrs. ??, Altilevelly
Samuel, Altilevelly
Samuel, Ballyfore
Samuel, Ballyrickard More
Samuel, Beltoy
Thomas, Ballyfore
Thomas, Ballyrickard More 
Thomas, Ballyvallagh 
William, Beltoy 

David isn't on the list but may appear on the Annual Revision Books of the Valuations.

Christopher 

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 April 08 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Thank you for that it makes a lot of sense now, I did have farmers hadn't come across a weaver until David and Jane. I knew my greatgrandfather was a poet and could play the bagpipes. I also knew a cousin of his went to America and he was a musician and this musician had a brother who was a poet.

I did have the info on the Griffiths, appreciate your help and the feedback on the history.

Helena

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 May 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
Helena

There is an Edward Porter in the Carnmoney area in 1850's with children Maria ,Hanna,Samuel...could be others

I have not been able to connect them to my family or the Ballycarry..lot ...yet

There are Porters living at Red Hall ..1824.  nieces of owner at that time.

A John Porter is in Islandmagee in 1660...might be the forefather of the Porters in Ballycarry.

I am still looking for this tree...think I have found a man to help...will PM you details.

As for Edward Robinson....I have drawn a blank at present.
He might be the link between the Lyles and Robinsons of generations back....I can only hope.

As the Lyle's had links to Robinson and Stevenson families

forever on wards into the past

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 08 17:44 BST (UK) »
Helena

Found their son

Robert Jqmes

born in Ballycarry......he married early 1900's...died November 1935 lived at Whitehead....his wife out lived him......sill trying to find her name.

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 August 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
They were in Altilevelly at time of marriage that what thinks they could be mine, not 100% sure, his father was a weaver and did he move around and end up living in the same townland as my family. His father was Edward, which means he could be mine, if he is mine, he could be the brother of my 3rd great grandfather. I have the Edward name in N.Z but doesnt mean it is mine as my great grandmother who maried my great grandfather Nathaniel Martin Robinson she had the name Edward in her family.

In my email I sent you I have traced through official records my family and other letters 100% on all my lines I have connected. If I could find someone linked to my line, I may be able to help them.

Helena