Author Topic: Mary Ann Cardwell + others  (Read 5165 times)

Offline whiteroselass

• RootsChat Member
  • Fred & Sarah Middleton, my great grandparents
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Cardwell + others
« on: Wednesday 06 February 08 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me who are the parents of

Mary Ann Cardwell

She married in March qtr of 1852 in Doncaster  9c 445 a chap called Alexander Mackie.

I have seen her on the 1851 Census in Wakefield aged 25 which makes her dob c1826.

Also Jane Cardwell baptised in Wakefield 3 Nov 1815.  Parents shown as Thomas and Ann. 

I would appreciate any census information on Jane and her family.

Thanks

Doncaster: Cardwell,Cotton,Middleton,Mitchell, Peace, Ridgill,Thompson
Coventry: Wagstaff
Manchester: Mitchell
Halifax: Mitchell, Middleton
Knaresborough: Waterworth, Roadhouse.
Wakefield: Cardwell, Cotton

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Cardwell + others
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have seen her on the 1851 Census in Wakefield aged 25 which makes her dob c1826.

You have omitted a very important fact - the 1851 shows her born in London - she was only visiting Wakefield.  It does not show what part of London

The IGI has a couple of London possibles - www.familysearch.org but you really need to buy a copy of her marriage cert to establish her fathers name and occupation which will help narrow down the search

MARY ANN CARDWELL  Birth:  25 SEP 1825   

Christening:  22 JAN 1826   Saint Mary, Newington  Father:  JOHN CARDWELL    Mother:  MARY ANN

MARY ANN CARDWELL  Birth:  06 FEB 1826   
Christening:  10 FEB 1826   Saint Peter Pauls Wharf, London,
Father:  WILLIAM CARDWELL   Mother:  ELIZABETH 

MARY ANN CARDWELL  Christening:  12 JAN 1828   St Sepulchre, London   Father:  GEORGE PETTINGER CARDWELL     Mother:  ANN 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I note from the freebmd marriage entry that Jane Cardwell married Leonard Outwin at the same time as Mary Ann Cardwell married Alexander Mackie

Is this the same Jane that you are enquiring about or a different one?

If it's the same one - then she was b 1832 in London according to the 1861 census

If it's a different one - there is no Jane Cardwell b 1813-1817 in Yorkshire
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline whiteroselass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 08 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole

The Jane Cardwell is not the same Jane who married Leonard Outwin.  The Jane I am looking for was as I mentioned initially, baptised in Wakefield on 13 Nov 1815.  This information was given to me by a friend who got it from IGF where it listed her parents as Thomas and Ann.  I do not know where she was born.

Jane who married Leonard Outwin was born to John Cardwell and Mary Ann Roadhouse who were married in Rothwell, Yorkshire on 24 Nov 1824 and was one of 8 children I believe.

Offline whiteroselass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 08 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Carol
It looks as though Mary Ann Cardwell is also a daughter of Tom Cardwell and Mary Ann Roadhouse that I was not aware of.  The dates fit and could explain why it was a double wedding in 1852.

The family seem to move around quite alot.

1851 Census living  Tom was with his Son Tom in Marshgate Doncaster, Ann is not on census.  John was employed as a Coach builder.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 08 18:45 GMT (UK) »
If Jane & Mary Ann were sisters - which is what you seem to be saying - Jane was b 1832 in London so cannot be the 1815 IGI entry

It would make sense that they were sisters given that Mary Ann was also born in London

This IGI entry fits the IGI entry I found for Mary Ann above but their father is John - not Thomas

JANE CARDWELL  Birth:  02 JAN 1832   Christening:  18 MAR 1832   Saint Mary, Newington, Surrey  Father:  JOHN CARDWELL 
Mother:  MARY ANN 

MARY ANN CARDWELL  Birth:  25 SEP 1825   

Christening:  22 JAN 1826   Saint Mary, Newington  Father:  JOHN CARDWELL    Mother:  MARY ANN

Offline whiteroselass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 February 08 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't things be alot easier if they didn't all have the same names!!!!

I am getting more and more confused with the whole thing.  I do think the 2 are sisters but I would like to know who the other Jane, Born in 1815, belongs to.

Maybe there are some things we will never get to know.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 08 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I do think the 2 are sisters but I would like to know who the other Jane, Born in 1815, belongs to.

You already know who her parents were

Also Jane Cardwell baptised in Wakefield 3 Nov 1815.  Parents shown as Thomas and Ann.

There is no Jane Cardwell b 1815 on the Yorkshire 1841 but by then she was 26 yrs old so could have married

Offline austerfield1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 February 15 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Jane Cardwell baptised in Wakefield in 1815 as daughter of Thomas and Ann died in Flockton in 1819. Father was a blacksmith and was from Flockton. Mother was from Rothwell and was called Ann Jewett. They married 14th November 1814 in Wakefield. In 1851 census they are living at Lepton, Huddersfield with sons Henry and George and daughter Sarah Ann and granddaughter Sarah Jane..... three children are all single and census states they all born inLepton as does grandchild. However baptism record shows that Jane was baptised in 1815 in Wakefield as was  a son James in 1817, then Henry 1821, John 1824, Louisa 1826, Sarah Ann 1829, Robert Thomas and Priscilla in 1832 and finally George in 1835 all baptised in Flockton....... Flockton is about half way between Wakefield and Huddersfield. Hope this helps