Author Topic: Drymma House & Lodge, Glamorgan  (Read 12492 times)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Drymma House & Lodge, Glamorgan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 August 14 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hans Teule
Many thanks for the Newspaper Link, I had a quick look at the Evening Express,  sounds an interesting story.
Next weekend I will spend a few hours reading all the articles in the papers.
I love Newspaper sites. In Australia we have TROVE,  they are adding old newspapers all the time, you can find so much information about the lives of family members.

David
from Google Street view it looked like the cottage could be a private residence, nice to know that the home is still being used as a residence,

Thanks to you both
Regards   Cass

Offline bowenworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 August 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Cass,
When I used to walk my dog through the gardens of Drummau House in the 1980's I came across a pet cemetery at the back of the house. There were several dogs buried there complete with  individual gravestones with very touching inscriptions along the lines of
SAUL  1880 - 1890 " My faithfull friend "

Regards,

John
Melbourne Australia

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 August 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
It would appear that there were two "Drumma House" references.  Incidentally until recent times, it was spelled DRUMMA or DRYMMA not DRUMMAU.

The mansion which is currently a Care Home was built by John Birch Paddon in 1884.  Was this on the site of Drumma Fach?

Adverts in the Cambrian from 1807 refer to Drumma House 3 miles from Neath and 5 miles from Swansea.  Where was this?  Does this align with Neuadd Drummau today?

An article by Paul Reynolds states that William Pegg built Drumma House in 1861 and his family stayed there until 1874.  This can't be the property that Paddon had.  I think this was nearer Drumma Isaf between Glais and Birchgrove where Pegg had coal interests.

There are also references to Drumma(u) Mansion.  John Popkin dubbed 'Lord of Drumma' lived at Tir-y-Mynyddd in the early 18th century.  Was this the mansion?

A map of all the Drummau properties would be interesting.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).

Offline bowenworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 07:29 BST (UK) »
It's confusing because the big property above Skewen is called Drumau House (sometimes called Drumau Mansion) but we also have a big (ruined) farmhouse above Birchgrove that was also called a also called Drumau House. These maps show their locations

Offline James Marshall Henton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
I saw a woman mention it was a girls home later, but the house became a home not for sound minded girls here in Neath. It was for girls with mental disabilities and then became a care home which it is at the moment. Until about 1990 it was an asylum, but luckily not like the hospital institutions dotted around. A farmer who owns Price Farm in Longford, Neath Abbey used to say about how the girls would be taken on walks around the area and would pass through the farm as the farm has a right of way through it. They were just girls with autism and other similar disabilities the farmer said.

Offline johnsuerich

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
This is all so intersting! John Birch Paddon was my Great x3 grandfather! My Grandfather was Grp. Cpt. Brian Paddon, DSO (of Calditz fame). Brian died in Inyanga, Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and his daughter, Dianna Shane (Nee Paddon) is my mother and still lives in South Africa. My husband and I have now come to live in N. Wales on an adventure for the past 3 years. We will have to come and visit Drmmau house!! (If anyone would like more details of above I do have a lot more; contact me at johnsuerich@gmail.com) Sue Rich

Offline James Marshall Henton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Yeah you should as the building is still there, however it is now a care home once again, so not sure what type of access you would get to the property, but if you explain your reason for going there they may let you look around. There are plenty of other historic sites in the local area around here though to keep you occupied if you stay down here. It's also possible you'll find some of your ancestors in the local church yards too as your family seems to have an old link to the area.

Offline burns48

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 April 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
I live in the village of Birchgrove, above which the imposing Drymma House stands.John Birch Paddon was responsible for the building of our village St Johns Church, for the local mining families, so they wouldn't have to make the journey to Llansamlet, the mother church.The Paddon family were not worshippers at St Johns, but at St Matthews Church,Dyffryn.Where John Birch Paddon is buried,and probably the rest of the family also.