Author Topic: Constable, Central Marker, Epping Forest  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Constable, Central Marker, Epping Forest
« on: Thursday 07 February 08 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my G Grandfather, George Foster b1840 Congelton/Audlem, Cheshire, who after leaving the Royal Marine Light Infantry in 1881 appears on the 1891 census as a "Constable Central Marker(t)"   not sure whether it is marker or market.   He lived in Chingford at that time and I believe he  worked in Epping Forest and I know he was involved with horses (not sure if his job actually involved horses or whether he just rode there.    I suspected he was a Forest Ranger and these were quite often sworn in as Special Constables but I am told this is probably not so in his case.    I know there are meridian line markers in Epping Forest and wonder if there is some connection with this.   I also wonder if the job was to do with "marking" horses i.e. branding them I presume.
If anyone can help me with this I would be most grateful - Epping Forest Museum don't know the answer and I have been in touch, as advised by them with the City of London, Open Spaces, Essex, as far back as last October/November who said they would look it up but have heard nothing.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline RendLill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Foster, Constable, Central Marker, Epping Forest
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my G Grandfather, George Foster b1840 Congelton/Audlem, Cheshire, who after leaving the Royal Marine Light Infantry in 1881 appears on the 1891 census as a "Constable Central Marker(t)"   not sure whether it is marker or market.   He lived in Chingford at that time and I believe he  worked in Epping Forest and I know he was involved with horses (not sure if his job actually involved horses or whether he just rode there.    I suspected he was a Forest Ranger and these were quite often sworn in as Special Constables but I am told this is probably not so in his case.    I know there are meridian line markers in Epping Forest and wonder if there is some connection with this.   I also wonder if the job was to do with "marking" horses i.e. branding them I presume.

If anyone can help me with this I would be most grateful - Epping Forest Museum don't know the answer and I have been in touch, as advised by them with the City of London, Open Spaces, Essex, as far back as last October/November who said they would look it up but have heard nothing.

Sue

Hiya, I work at Epping Forest: one of our volunteers has been researching the history of the Forest Keepers. Previously they were fairly unsorted. This is what he's come up with for George Foster from EF records.

4 April 1881: Head Keeper - same role 1886.
Lived Hawkwood Farm, Chingford, Essex.
1889, still Head Keeper, but now living Oak Villa, High Beach, Essex (that's now in Loughton).
Note: 10 December 1890, dismissed (or that may just mean dismissed).
There's some correspondence London Metropolitan Archives  CLA/077/B/12/004 regarding 'Forest encroachments, some legal stuff about public houses advertising on Forest land.

There may well be some other stuff at London Metropolitan Archive including work diaries (which can be rather dull and are just identified by Beat - which is not always clear whose beat was whose'.

We had Forest Keepers on horses for some periods of time - not sure whether that early.
Central marker may be do with the cattle branding, an annual branding of cattle grazing on the Forest by commoners. The Forest Keepers acted as Reeves for this. Some of cattle brands on display at our visitor centre, The View, E4 7QH.

Meridian - probably nothing to do with your ancestor. The meridian passes through Epping Forest and is marked by an obelisk (two actually) on Pole Hill (which has a connection with Lawrence of Arabia, TE Lawrence) but again that's just a by the way.

Modern keepers are sworn in as special constables. Not sure when that came in - but have always enforced the by laws since 1878 Epping Forest Act confirmed management of Forest to City of London Corporation (who now run it as a registered charity).

If you see this, hope that's of interest - and do pay a visit to London Metropolitan Archives where the bulk of EF archives are held. Also, try searching for 'ehive epping forest' to browse our online (small, incomplete, ongoing) museum collection.