Author Topic: Which PHILLIPS of Bendigo, Victoria??? - COMPLETED, MANY THANKS!!!  (Read 5379 times)

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lawyers - Victoria, Australia, 1880's
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 January 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando & Judb,

Thanks so much for the information - most of it is verified by the marriage cert I ordered for Peter Phillips and Mary Phillips - they married in Melbourne in 1872.

I've been tinkering around with the Cornish OPC Site, IGI and census returns all day and made lots of progress :)

Thanks again, fantastic to be on the right track  :D  :D  :D  :D

I'll be coming back to this post a LOT in the next few weeks!

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Which PHILLIPS of Bendigo, Victoria??? - COMPLETED, MANY THANKS!!!
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 February 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Julia Phillips (1836 Stithians -1915 Ballarat), who I believe was Peter Phillips' half sister, from his father Henry Phillips first marriage to Ann Murton 8 Jul 1810 Stithians.

Not mentioned in the above dialogue, is that I believe Peter Phillips arrived 1857 aboard Mindoro with his aunty Julia Phillips  (Mrs. William Dunstan), and her three chn: Mary (Perry) Dunstan; William Henry Dunstan; and Wearne Dunstan.

Name:   Peter Phillips
Estimated birth year:   abt 1839 Age:   18
Arrival Date:   28 Jul 1857 Arrival Port:   Melbourne and Victoria, Australia
Departure Port:   Plymouth Ship:   Mindoro

My research is also leading towards his mother being Catherine Odgers. She was a widow at the time she married Henry Phillips 8 May 1831 Stithians, Cornwall. As to her maiden name, if it was not Odgers, I have not proved. Others may know if Odgers was her married name, and Mitchell, then could have been her maiden name as others suggest, and I believe the name of his mother written on Peter Phillips' marriage certificate 1872 Melbourne. Others may confirm this.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End