Author Topic: Which PHILLIPS of Bendigo, Victoria??? - COMPLETED, MANY THANKS!!!  (Read 5348 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lawyers - Victoria, Australia, 1880's
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 January 10 07:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused as well.  Definitely two different families - John H possibly married in Cornwall 1870 and Thomas in Vic 1885.

There are two births to John Henry PHILLIPS and Mary E*DEY,  I think you need to recheck your data.  I think the 1870 marriage in Cornwall is more likely.  Have you found their shipping record?   Do you have any certs at all?

PHILLIPS Mary
Father John Henry   Mother Mary ENDEY
At Sandhurst   1877  Reg#11494

PHILLIPS Catherine Maria
Father John Henry  Mother Mary EUDEY
At Carlton  1879  Reg#14496

Not listed under Attorney, Solicitor or Proctor 1880 Melbourne.

What was the document in 1895 that listed John H as a clerk?

Either of the birth certificates would give you John H's occupation, his age, place and date of marriage...

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 January 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi cando & judb,

:-[   :-[   :-[   :-[

Now I find that I've made a SECOND mistake with this family!!!

My only excuse being that I've been fairly spoilt, having had good documentation on most of my family from my nan; as well as some pretty unusual surnames to research, hence not many choices.  However, this side of the family has been VERY poorly documented (mostly on account of my nan not getting on at all well with her mother-in-law ;) )

I went over the marriage cert from 1895 (for my g-grandparents, Robert James Stannard & Mary Phillips) with the proveribial fine-toothed comb (having glanced through it to confirm the info I ordered it for - mostly to do with my g-grandfather), and noted - to my embarrassment that the father of Mary PHILLIPS is listed as Peter PHILLIPS...and her age:  20, putting her birthdate around 1874.

So...now I'm looking at a WHOLE new family.

What have I got now:

Mary PHILLIPS b 1874, Sandhurst; parents:  Peter and Mary Ann PHILLIPS (nee PHILLIPS), married 1872 in Melbourne, Victoria.

Both parents born in Cornwall, England in abt 1839 - I've got their parents names and occupations, so will head on to see if I can find them in Census returns shortly (ie tonight :) )

Siblings of Mary PHILLIPS:

William Henry, b 1873, Sandhurst
Agnes Jane, b 1876, Sandhurst
Catherine Priscilla, b 1878, Sandhurst

Peter PHILLIPS's occupation is listed as "miner" on his marriage cert (1872) and Mary's birth cert (1874); but as "clerk" on the marriage cert of Mary to Robert James STANNARD (1895).

Any refs to this family (which is now definitely right!) would be fantastic, as would any census or electoral data.

Thanks very much, apologies for the wrong avenues  :-[

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 January 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
On the 1903 roll there is a Peter PHILLIPS at Golden Square [Bendigo] with occupation secretary but there is no Mary PHILLIPS at the same address.  Perhaps he may have enrolled at his business address.  There is a Mary PHILLIPS enrolled at Golden Square at a different address. 

There are burial records for Peter and Mary PHILLIPS in the same grave MON  L5 Grave#21421, at
http://www.bencemtrust.com.au/search.asp

PHILLIPS Peter
Father Phillips Henry   Mother Priscilla UNKNOWN
73 years  at Bendigo  1912  Reg#478

PHILLIPS Mary Ann
Father Phillips William   Mother Priscella  UNKNOWN
At Golden Square  84 years  1922  Reg#9405

Cheers
Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 January 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
There is a digitised will dated 1911 for Peter PHILLIPS, miner of Golden Square, died 26 January 1912.  Executors are Robert Saunders, draper and  Ralph Jones, produce merchant, both of Golden Sq.  It says he had lived in the Bendigo district for upwards of fifteen years.

The willl itself leaves bequests to his sister in Adelaide and to Elizabeth EUDIE giving her address in Cornwall, lists his children William Henry PHILLIPS of Durban (edit, this may not be right - just realised I didn't recheck but definitely in South Africa) Sth Africa, Mary STANNARD of Maritzburg, Natal, Sth Africa, Thomas PHILLIPS of Golden Sq. The residue of his estate to go to the parish in Cornwall (same address as Elizabeth) St Stithians, via Perranwell to endow a 'juvenile industrial competition' named after his parents Henry and Catherine. 

There are comments on what to do if his widow makes claim on his estate.  So it looks as though he and Mary maynot have been on very good terms, although Cando found them buried together.  Also a mention of him falling and breaking his arm!  It says he was secretary to a mining union so I suppose that's where the difference is in the two occupations he gives.

It's a fascinating read.  The site does take a while to load though.

http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=54

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 January 10 01:22 GMT (UK) »
From IGI

Baptism: 3 Nov 1839, St Stithians, Cornwall,  Peter PHILLIPS, parents Henry PHILLIPS, Catherine
Baptism: 22 June 1834, Sophia Jane PHILLIPS, same parish, same parents

Marriage:  8 May, 1831 St Stithians, Cornwall, Henry PHILLIPS to Catherine ODGERS

Baptism: 26 August, 1800, St Stithians Cornwall, Catherine ODGER, parents John ODGER, Catherine

There is another birth/baptism entry for Peter but the dates are different and it is a submitted entry. It gives Catherine's surname as MITCHELL.  The entries above are from the filmed records.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 January 10 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Also from IGI

Baptism: 28 Jul 1839, Stithians Cornwall, Mary PHILLIPS, parents William PHILLIPS, Priscilla.

The parish is apparently sometimes referred to as "Stithians"

Additions:

UK Census:
1851 all born Stithians residing parish of Stithians.  Village of Crellow.
Percillia Phillips 45, widow, grocer
Agness Phillips 16, dressmaker
James Phillips 14, copper miner
Mary P Phillips 11 (I am not convinced that that the initial is "P')

Priscilla and Mary (grocers' assistant) at same address

1871 has Priscilla PHILLIPS at above address but Mary PHILLIPS age 30 is with her - doesn't match with the 1870 marriage Cando found  :'(

Pricilla PHILLIPS aged 80 is at same address in 1881;

Digging a bit further on the census at Stithian comes up with a number of PHILLIPS - Marys, Henrys, Catherines etc!  None of them fit really well with what we already seem to have  :'(

Judith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 January 10 02:04 GMT (UK) »
A few mentions of Peter on the Beta newspapers:

Illness, May and September, 1911

Summary of the Will, May 1912

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Judith

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 January 10 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Living at Trembroath,  Stithians  H0107/139/3

PHILLIPS Henry  50  Farmer  b. county
PHILLIPS Catharine  45  b. county
PHILLIPS William 15  Copper Miner  b. county
PHILLIPS Mary  15    b. county
PHILLIPS John  11  b. county
PHILLIPS Jane  7   b. county
PHILLIPS Peter  2  b. county
ODGER John  20  Copper Miner  Not born county

Living at Trembroath,  Stithians  H0107/1914/28

PHILLIPS
  Henry  63    Farmer    b. Stithians, Cornwall
PHILLIPS Catherine 55   b. Beenfleet, Devon
PHILLIPS John  20   Miner   b. Stithians, Cornwall
PHILLIPS Sophia J  17      b. Stithians, Cornwall
PHILLIPS  Peter  12            b. Stithians, Cornwall

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 January 10 04:40 GMT (UK) »
No entry for Peter in the 1904 trade directory for Bendigo.  The listings do include various societies etc.

Australian Electoral Roll
PHILLIPS Emily  Macdougall Road, Golden Square  HD
PHILLIPS Isabella  Macdougall Road, Golden Square   Home duties
PHILLIPS Peter  Macdougall Road, Golden Square  Secretary
PHILLIPS William  Macdougall Road, Golden Square  Miner

I have listed the names in Macdougall Road but they may not be at the same residence.  There is no  Mary Ann enrolment in 1903. 

No further enrolments for Peter PHILLIPS.

PHILLIPS  Mary Ann  113 Wattle Street, Bendigo  HD

Peter is mentioned on page 318 in a publication Annals of Bendigo 1851-67; 1868-1891; 1892-1909. Author/compiler George Mackay.  I live nowhere near a library or genealogy group so cannot help with a lookup.

There is a headstone of Peter and Mary's grave in the Bendigo Cemetery.

I wonder if the Bendigo Genealogy Society could help
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~brgs/

Cheers
Cando