Author Topic: Leeds coroners inquests  (Read 5450 times)

Offline Felix

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Leeds coroners inquests
« on: Saturday 08 January 05 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for advice please.
I have just received a death certificate of an ancestor of mine named Walter Vernon Stead, date of death 9 May 1931 aged 46 of 21 Ash Terrace. Died at 123 Beckett Street, Leeds North UD.
Cause of death is listed as "Exhaustion due to chronic mania and myocardial degeneration. Post Mortem - Natural causes." "Certificate received from James Henry Milner(?), Coroner for Leeds. Inquest held 12 May 1931."
Will I be able to find any further info out about this death?
Do Coroners offices keep records back that far?
Any other advice to my way forward for further research?
Many thanks.

Offline jeejack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Health & Safety??????
    • View Profile
Re: Leeds coroners inquests
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just seen your posting. I too was interested in tracing an inquest record from 1919 and received this reply. It may be of some help to you:
"Although we hold some coroners and hospital records at this office, we have no records regarding your great uncle. The Leeds Coroners records only survive from 1927 and actual case files only from the 1960s. We have no patient registers for the LGI of the period at this office. The survey list of records we hold of records still at the hospital does not include patient registers of the period either. I'm sorry we cannot be of help and as records appear to no longer survive can only suggest local newspapers for 1919 that may contain details regarding the accident - Leeds Central Library holding copies of newspapers for the district."
I found some more info in the local papers.
Jeejack
TAYLOR,DRAKE and COWGILL West Yorkshire

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Leeds coroners inquests
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 January 05 11:31 GMT (UK) »
the west yorks archives site has a bit about coroners`reports on its family history page which I found helpful  ( but I had the right coroner!)

www.archives.wyjs.org.uk

regards
rebel