Author Topic: Cork to Bristol between 1810 and 1840  (Read 3998 times)

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cork to Bristol between 1810 and 1840
« on: Saturday 09 February 08 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for inforamtion about the family of William Dean (or Deane)

He was born in Cork in about 1803. In 1841 he was working as a carpenter, single, living in Bristol. HIs marraige certificate in 1844 gives his father as William Dean, a sea-faring man.

He could have emigrated as a child with his family but I think it is more likely he came as an adult.
Although he was single in 1841 he could have had an earlier marraige either in Ireland or England.
There are a lot of Irish immigrants in Bristol in the 1840s, including some other Deans but I have not been able to establish any family connections
There are also a lot of Deans or Deanes in Cork - but I have yet found anything that relates to William or his father.
Furthermore there are a lot of records for sea-faring William Deans in the seamans records and wills at the National archives; one comes from Ireland but is proababaly not William's father; and the others come from Devon.

Please can anyone help.
Essentially is there anuway I can naarrow down when he came to England.
What is the best way of looking for records of him or his faher in Ireland? Prefably something I can follow up from London.
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cork to Bristol between 1810 and 1840
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 08 17:40 GMT (UK) »
No receords were ever kept (and still aren't) of people travelling between Ireland, Scotland, Enland and Wales as all were part of the U.K.
Civl registration of Irish births, deaths and Catholic marriages started in 1864 (Protestant marriages from 1845). First complete census for all Ireland is 1901 although small fragments from various places do survive.
Some land records will help in researching Irish ancestors but if William Dean was a seaman it is possible you won't be able to get much information that way (farmers are better as they tended to stay in the same place and some trades were listed in town directories).
'Born in Cork' could mean the city, the county or the general area. To search for the Deans in Ireland you really need to have a better idea of where they lived (parish if not actual townland). It is also important to know the family's religion to locate church records (if they still exist).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 08 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Help!
Though in a way you are confirming what I already feared. I suppose there is a chance that one day I may come across someone researching the family from another direction. (I am really looking for an excuse to visit Cork!!!)

In the meantime what I have found most interesting and will continue to research is the large number of Irish immigrants in Bristol in the 1840s. I am most interested in William Deane because he is my ancestor. But his wife, also my ancestor, married three times, each time to an Irishman.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who is researching other Irish immigrants in Bristol at this time.
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 08 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizb

I too have an ancestor, born in Ireland (Dublin)c 1805 who married in Bristol in 1827 & stayed there the rest of her life. She was Elizabeth Rousom who married George Street (From Tetbury in Glos). I've given up hope of tracing this line back further - but you never know.

Ps the old lady in my avatar was their grand daughter, baptised Ada Street

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 08 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply
I have not given up on finding out more about this family although I think it's more a case of keeping an eye open for clues.
I have second ancestor (another branch of my tree) from Cork in London at a similar time - although she may have travelled via Bristol.
There are a large number of Irish-born in Bristol in the 1841 census - 600 in the the same parish (St Philip & Jacob) as William. I have found a lot of information on the web about Irish immigrants at the time including specific to Bristol. Some of the things written at the time were not very pc. Generally immigrants were poor and people resented them taking jobs and increase in crime etc. What's changed?

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I have just been looking at Griffiths valuation.
Although the Dean (Deane) family are fairly widely scattered the biggest numbers come form Fanlobbus and Kilgarriff with quite a few from St Nicholas. These three include William Deans.
I have a bit of a gut feeling about Fanlobbus as I found Royal Navy service record for William Deane from Fanlubus born in 1849.
Does anyone know anything about emigration from these parishes?

Offline petticoat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
I too have family coming over to Bristol from Cork to become Quay Labourers a Michael Fuller 1818 with his wife Catherine McGrath 1811 and three children William 1843, Edward 1847 and Bridget 1851 living Back Street St Nicholas in 1861.