Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67612 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cleughbrae , mouswald
« on: Monday 11 February 08 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone out there have any knowledge regarding the hamlet of Cleughbrae near Mouswald , regards stoop.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 08 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi stoop,

Geographically this site tells you where it is:
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/townfirst5269.html

Pam
 :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi , Pam thanks for you response. I should have been more specific in my e-mail , on my way into Dumfries I have driven past Cleughbrae and have been curious as to where in the hamlet particular Kerrs lived in the 1841 census it does not pinpoint the address other than Cleughbrae , ,thanks again Pam , regards stoop .

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 07:48 GMT (UK) »
just looking at old posts cleuchbrae had at least 12 cottages and continued down the hill towards mouswal church a lot of the kerrs there were related particularly to mouwald banks kerrs where there were several families all related also to the kerrs birset dalton csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 09 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi csc, thank you for your reply. Your information adds to my knowledge regarding the the extent of Cleughbrae. Can you possibly tell me how many farms there are in Cleughbrae, the only one Ihave spotted is the one just off the main road above Mouswald. Regards stoop.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 09 13:12 GMT (UK) »
i think there may have been more than one i think if a person even only had 1 field he was called a farmer i know that my ancestor george kerr was sometimes described as a farmer and sometimes as an agricultural labourer on his childrens certificates cleuchbrae was quite an assortment of industry and people helped each other out they did whatever came along and quite a few children died they moved from farm to farm sometimes twice in a year i dont have 2 of georges children born at the same place in my own family i am the eldest of 8 and none of us born the same place thanks csc

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your rapid reply, my particular interest is relating to one James Kerr married to a Martha Moffat tenant in Cleughbrae he was born around 1718 and died in 1789, it looks as if he lived in Collin for a while as a couple of his children were born there . Jumping forward in time one of his daughters , Rachel remained in Cleughbrae ,unmarried she was joned by her sister in law Mary Kerr widow of Thomas Kerr a son of James. In the census of 1841 they were described as living in the farmhouse at Cleughbrae. Who was your George related to?, I suppose possibly my line. Regards stoop.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 09 13:41 GMT (UK) »
my george and mary dickson were the parents of my francis buried mouswald my great gran mary agnes is in the same grave she was alive when i was small we have been trying to find out who georges father is i have got several possibilities i have lots of papers for mouswald and dalton births and some torthorwald i am working with my sister akc on this thanks csc

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I suppose Francis Kerr of Dumfries is alikely candidate for the parent of George Kerr who was born in 1784, trying to seperate the Kerr families is a real battle, particularly when they were living so close to each other and inter marrying. During our searches the same names keep appearing so we start thinking they must belong to us . Regards stoop.