Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67608 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #189 on: Thursday 21 January 10 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi csc I think you are right, I am trawling through the post 1855 mis. regarding the other sisters, covering Dalton and Torthorwald as well as Mouswald. Regards stoop.

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Friday 03 February 12 07:16 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is an old post ,but I have just received information from a relative ,copies of gravestone inscriptions. I wondered if the following were buried in Mousewald churchyard.
John Porteous d 1805 and wife Jean Thorburn died 1816 at Cleughbrae
John Porteous d1839 and wife Janet Mcall d1817 at Cleughbrae
Janet Porteous d 1885 
William Porteous d 1899 Cleughbrae cottage
Any information would be great
Thanks
EP

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Friday 03 February 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi ep, I have looked through the memorial inscriptions relating to the Porteous people  you have referred to. They are not mentioned at Mouswald , Torthorwald or Dalton, I will continue looking. Regards stoop.

Offline kathgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Friday 03 February 12 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Could this be Cleuchbrae in the parish of Johnstone.  There is a William Porteous on the 1841 census residing at that adress aged 14 living with Jennet Porteous aged 35 a dressmaker.

Kathleen

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Friday 03 February 12 10:24 GMT (UK) »
i think it is johnstone there is a william illegitimate son of janet who dies there at that time dykehead cottage   csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Friday 03 February 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
I think you are all right with the Cleuchbrae, Johnstone. The spelling I have is Cleughbrae, but it was written down a hundred years ago ! You have actually solved a puzzle I have ,I did wonder with the rest of the Porteous family who are all buried in Wamphray churchyard, why these ones were buried in Mousewald. Now I can look for them in Wamphray Cemetery.
Can`t thank you all enough, brilliant !
EP

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Richardson born Mouswald
« Reply #195 on: Sunday 05 March 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I have come to this conversation late after doing a search for Christopher Richardson, father of Robert Richardson 1807 and Jacob Richardson 1804, his wife is recorded as Diana Tod but I haven't been able to find a marriage.
In 1851 Christopher was living in Annan with his daughter Mary Irving (I haven't found her baptism either), she was a widow born Cummertrees.

I found Christopher Richardson baptised Mouswald 7 June 1768 son of John Richardson and Janet Dickson
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Sunday 05 March 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Please disregard my last post, I am posting it as a new topic instead.
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline Nicholh001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Thursday 19 September 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

As to your Jonah confusion, I have Jonah b 1787 marrying Janet Dickson, son of Jonah N and Ann Carruthers.  Jonah born 1795 married Margaret Dickson. Jonah 1795 was son of John N and Mary Ann Smith. Both Jonah (1787 & 1795) were grandsons pf Benjamin N and Janet Friend.  I have these Nicholsons in my tree due to some distant connection and as I tend to add whole families in of spousal lines I went over board plus the two Dicksons sparked my interest. One connection is Ann N dau of Jonah & Janet married James Grierson son of William G and Jean Charteris whose other son Richard married  Janet Dickson elder sister of my 2G Grandfather Jacob Dickson. See how far I go.

I hadn't a spouse for Christopher 1781, so now I have, thanks, any other info on that line would be good as I have connections to the Jardines as well, pm me if you like

Cheers
Mick

Hi Mike,

Thank you for getting back to me on this.  The details I have correspond with yours in every respect except that I have Benjamin N. married to Janet Irving (not Friend) but to be honest I don't know where I have got that information from as it is research done many years ago.  I also have the will of Jonah N., wife of Janet in which mention is made of James Grierson and Ann Nicholson.

I will PM you then it doesn't get confusing on here.

Maggie

Hello, I realize this is an old post so hopefully someone is still on here -- did you ever find out if Benjamin Nicholson (1722) was married to Janet FRIEND or Janet IRVING? I can't seem to find any records for this so wondering where either names are coming from. Thanks so much! You can reply here or email at nicholson.hlee@gmail.com