Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67607 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Mick I have just had a look at the census of 1851 relating to James Dickson. He was actually born in about 1813 Mouswald.  In the same year of the census Martha died, there is a mention of a son Thomas who was 7 and no mention of James who it appears had died young. Iwonder therefore when did James senior go to America and did he take the children with him. Incidentally he was a mason. Regards stoop.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Here I am again Mick this time I am referring to another Dickson Kerr link. William Kerr born  ? died 1808 first married an Agnes Irving born in 1729 died 1769 his second wife was a Mary Dickson born in 1745 and died in 1825. I think William was born in Cleughbrae. William had a brother James born 1718 he was my 5th grandfather. regards stoop.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Kerr folk - buried Lochmaben old cemetery. My George was a joiner.

"To the memory of Thomas Kerr in Esbie who died January 26th, 1764 aged 75
years. Also Jannet Sandert his spouse who died May 4th 1767 aged 75 years.
Also Thomas, Robert and Elizabeth, Thomas and James all children to George
Kerr joiner in Rosebank. Also George son of the above who died 20th
December, 1808 aged 72 years. Also Christina Burgess his spouse who died at
Lochmaben 19th December, 1819 aged 77 years. Also William Kerr son of John
Kerr who died --- 1817 aged 12 years, and Jean Kerr his daughter who died
10th March 1833 aged 16 years. Also Helen Bell spouse to the said John Kerr
who died 13 January, 1833 aged 50 or 56 years. Also Jean and Christina their
daughters - Jean died at Lockerby March 1837 aged 14 years and Christina
died at Ohio, America August 1835 aged 21 years. George Bell their son also
died in America aged 31 years."

Janice
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stoop and csc,

As to James D and Martha K, I have James b 3 Nov 1809, marrying in Jun 1842. Martha born c 1820 d 30 May 1851.  I believe James died 21 Sep 1854 in New York. Their son James b. 27 May 1845, d. 4 Jan 1846.  They also had as you've noted Thomas, Robert and Mary b 1849.  James Sr was born to James Dickson (1769 or 1771 - 1843) and Mary Gracie (1772-1829), she was born in New Abbey and this where they married.  They had 12 children, I have wondered about this family as the childrens names are so close to my own Dickson line.  It is possible that James (1769 or 1771) was the first son of my 4G Grandfather Richard as I have a five year gap bet. his marriage to Elspet Dickson in 1768 and the birth of the first recorded child in 1773, its possible James (1769) was born elsewhere other than Mouswald as his poss. parents married in Caerlaverock.

As to William Kerr and Mary Dickson, I don't have anything on them at all sorry. May have to dig deeper.

Sorry csc, was not aware that we had corresponded before, my bad.  Yes I am the culprit re the MI booklets.  I haven't seen them so didn't know my name was emblazoned in them. Having now checked the soft copy I have of them MIs, I found the two were refer.  I think as you said with hindsight that the Hutchison name is not connected to the Swan family but to Thomas Kerr and Mary Hutchison which keeps it all in the parish.

I have another Dickson/Kerr family...James D and Mary Kerr or Margaret Ker. Nine children between 1800-1821, all born in Mouswald:
Thomas 1800, Robert Grierson (1802), James (1805), Janet (1808), William (1810), John (1813), Jean (1816-1888, married John Boyes), Elizabeth (1816), Charles (1821).

I'll turn this into a Dickson discussion yet...lol

Mick
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Wrt James D the Builder who died in NY 1854, its possible he took the kids with him as he may have had family there.  Working on the premise he is related to my line of Dicksons, his poss. cousin also James (b1812, Blacksmith) went to NY about 1851 or earlier, lost his wife Elizabeth Edgar there in 1852, also another poss. cousin Jane Dickson (1832 - 1899) who married Charles Jardine (1825-1874 Mason) whose first wife was Margaret Kerr (1830-1849) as previously mentioned went to NY in about 1851 as well.  I can't find James kids in the 1861 census although by then they would have been spread to the winds possibly if they stayed.

More intriguing thoughts...

Mick
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Mick , its all fascinating stuff, prompting so many questions. Relating to William Kerr and Mary Dickson perhaps finding their resting place will provide some answers. I do not know how James Dikson and Mary Kerr sneaked under the radar, I simply have not spotted them before. It would appear that Mary or Margaret was born around the middle 1770s, and more than likely in Mouswald. In one way as we go further back there are fewer people to study and given that there are tangible documents around we might be able to further identify their roots. Thanks for the likely scenario that James had relations in America. Whatever became of the poor children losing both their parents over four years . Regards stoop.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 January 09 06:53 GMT (UK) »
hi mick and stoop you have both prompted me to fish out my old paper work that i had when i was tring to find my george and mary 1 have as follows joseph son to james kerr and martha moffat in cleuchbrae born 7th may baptized 8th jannet richardson to adam richardso n and mary dickson in bottom 20th not sure which month 1771 janet daughter to john richardson and janet dicksonat looks like houthwaite oct 17th 1772 joseph son to robert dickson and elizabeth maxwell in dodbeck 28th jan 1772 john son to john richardson and janet dickson in robiewhat born sat the 7th march 1770 jacob to john dickson and jean johnstone in ironhirst  looks like jan 6th baptized 10th 1773 elizabeth daughter to adam richardson and mary dickson in bottom jan 20th 1773 baptized 30th janet daughter to benjamin kerr and mary irving in banks 14th march 1773 baptized same day elizabeth daughter to revd jacob dickson and janet richardson born friday march 19th 1773 baptized 21st same month
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 January 09 07:13 GMT (UK) »
continued janet daughterto william dickson and mary dickson in rockhallborn june 17th baptized 18th margaret daughter to richard dickson and elizabeth dickson in mouswald town looks like dec 21st baptized 26th 1773 joseph son to william kerr and mary dickson in cleuchbrae born dec 26th 1773 baptized 27th james son to john dickson and janet edgar born feb 4th 1774 baptized 5th james son to joseph kerr and jean latimer in mouswald banks born looks like feb 16th 1774 baptized 17th mary daughter to benjamin kerr and mary irving in banks of mouswald born april 27th 1774 baptized may james son to robert dickson and jean irving in dodbeck june 13th 1774 baptized 19th mary daughter  to david dickson and susannah johnstone in kirkfield born aug 29th baptized 30th 1774  william son to john dickson and jean johnstone in ironhirst born oct 16th 1774 baptized 23rd
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.