Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67609 times)

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 January 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
we were looking at the possibility of george kerr and margaret harkness son george born 1778  or george kerr and ann davidson but we cant find a george for them george and marys first child that we can find is robert hendeson kerr 1801 whitecroft george may not have been registered but we do know there is a connection with mouswald banks  and our gran agnes kerr was born elizafield which also has big connections the last time i was at mouswald cemetery it was pouring down and i did not get a good look but i am going back shortly and i will take my notebook i was trying to put the kerrs in their families the ones i know of were extremely hard working people the women were all kindly including granny who looked after everybody i had ruled out the francis kerr ones from dumfries as i thought they went over near lockerbie  thanks csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 January 09 14:52 GMT (UK) »
My lot lived and died around Mouswald Banks ,Elizafield , Birset, Racks, Mouswald, Topmuir, Whitecroft, Beyond The Burn, many are buried in Mouswald Kirkyard. I would not be surprised if we did share a common ancestry. regards stoop.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 January 09 16:15 GMT (UK) »
yes i think we do if i get any more info i will let you know i saw you were looking for a robert on the cumberland side we also share something similar if you look at rootschat for cumberland you will see i am looking for margaret sparks my granny agnes kerr was married at brydekirk to joseph sparks charlton from near cockermouth he must have been here working he was at limekilns granny was at edge thanks csc

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 January 09 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too will let you know when I find out more during my researching, totally absorbing isnt it?. regards stoop.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 January 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
yes once you get started you cant put it down i did not realise there were so many kerrs in one small area and they are only 1 part of the family  another item i did not realise until i got into it kirkcudbrightshire started on this side of the nith lots of kerrs in troqueer   one of them alexander kerr at moat cottage with his sister jane mcgowan probably your lot he must have had a shop some on the new abbey road as well probablyall cousins  i do think kerrs bells and hetheringtons knew each other well csc

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 January 09 19:19 GMT (UK) »
It was a Bell who first started me off with my research, he I think was a 4th cousin. In Mouswald one of my Kerrs married into another Kerr line. This autimatically multiplied the number of people to research. Regards stoop. Yes I have family in Troqueer.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 January 09 19:48 GMT (UK) »
the last one i looked at the other day was death 11th nov 1881 jane mcgowan widow of william mcgowan foreman on farm age 75 old age and debility whitecroft father james kerr weaver dec and janet neilson dec thomas tweedie son in law witness whitecroft big area for kerrs another thing when you mentioned topmuir there was an alexander kerr there this jane also had a brother alexander shop keeper also at topmuir born jean tweedie mother of janet davidson 1802 ruthwll who was benjamin bells wife who was bro of our mary francis wife he took her with him down to liverpool where she died another davidson relative was father of our marys first son edward davidson before she was with francis ann davidson wife of old george kerr is also connected to same family no wonder we are having trouble finding out who is who csc

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 January 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi crc I bet you could not repeat that without taking a breath, Iwill have to study your latest, it was packed full of information. Regards stoop.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 07:56 GMT (UK) »
my sister says i have to give you time to catch your breath. do you know very  much about george kerr 1720-1801 and tabitha moffat 1731-1805 i have david 1759-1788 jannet died in infancy john 1764-1805 mary1760-1840 died piehills robert1771-1847 died piehills i think there should be more children i am  pretty sure they would have a george they lived at howthat and piehills just along the road our francis was born at piehills i think robert was a tailor they are buried at dalton just a fewyards from thomasdickson and margaret swan who we thought might be mary dicksons parents thanks csc