Author Topic: Avis  (Read 5330 times)

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Avis
« on: Tuesday 12 February 08 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of William Avis b abt 1776 and his wife Philadelphia Falconer b abt 1781 both of Withyham. Hope someone can help. Poppyann

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Avis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Had a look on the Sussex Marriage Index at Withyham and the most likely for William Avis parents are
William Avis and Mary Quinall on 10 November 1770 at Withyham both of this parish, by banns and witnesses - Thos Quinall and Jn Hall.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Had a look on www.familyhistoryonline.net and unfortunately you have the choice of 2!

30 Jan 1774 William Avis born on 5 Jan 1774 to Robert and Rose Avis at Withyham St Michael and All Angels or

3 June 1774 William Avis to William and Mary Avis at Withyham St Michael and All Angels

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 14:25 GMT (UK) »
No sign of a baptism for Philadelphia or a possible marriage on the SMI for parents though  :-\  Perhaps she came from across the border??

Kerry

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Kerry. Poppyann

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Poppyann

You could always try the Sussex Family History Group baptism look up service http://www.sfhg.org.uk/baptisms.html they do have records for Withyham in the right time span and may well be able to help.

Best wishes

Kerry

Offline Locket2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
hi.
maybe you found this...ive just started looking at my husbands tree.

william avis, born 03.06.1774, married philadelphia falconer (b.1763) in 1799. williams parents were mary quinall and william avis b 11.05.1739.

his parents were william avis b 06.09.1713, married jane miles.
all in withyham.

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 June 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Locket 2 for the info. Regards Poppyann

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 June 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
william avis, born 03.06.1774, married philadelphia falconer (b.1763) in 1799. williams parents were mary quinall and william avis b 11.05.1739.
Hi Locket2
It would be helpful to know what evidence you have to prove that the parents are William and Mary rather than the other couple who also had a William in 1774.   Have you looked at the original church register?
regards
Andrea