Author Topic: Clydach Forge, Llangafelach  (Read 5949 times)

Offline aderyndu

• RootsChat Extra
  • WARNING - some family trees may produce nuts!
    • View Profile
Clydach Forge, Llangafelach
« on: Wednesday 13 February 08 21:43 GMT (UK) »
My Gt, Gt, Gt Grandparents William & Hannah Lloyd lived there during 1830s 1840s.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about it or knows if there are any old photographs of it in any books etc.....

Here's hoping!
Delyth
Jenkins, Morgan(s), Jones, Williams, Evans - Pontardawe

Williams - Bettws, Carms

Jones, Parker - Neath

Brooks - Neath & North Devon

Southwood - North Devon

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Re: Clydach Forge, Llangafelach
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 08 01:17 GMT (UK) »
There is a mention of Clydach forge / iron works here ~ and a photo of some ruined iron works at Clydach:

"Owing probably to the existence of a plentiful water-supply, Clydach was the scene of industry earlier than Brynmawr; Works accounts dated 1711-12 are extant, and in 1800 the Iron Works and forge employed four hundred hands. At the time of the 1811 census, the population of the Parish was already mainly occupied in industry, ..."

http://www.thomasgenweb.com/brynmawr_history.html

Is this the same Clydach?
http://www.francisfrith.com/search/wales/west+glamorgan/clydach/photos/clydach_photos.htm
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline aderyndu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 08 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trisha,

Thanx for replying. The Clydach mentioned on the Brynmawr history website doesnt seem to be the same Clydach, but the Francis Frith photos are of the area just outside Swansea.

I'm trying to find out if the forge was part of the tin/iron works in the Llangafelach area or whether it was more a smithy type of forge, if you know what I mean!

Any help would be greatly appreciated  :)

Williams - Bettws, Carms

Jones, Parker - Neath

Southwood - North Devon

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 February 08 19:40 GMT (UK) »
A long shot but there is a book called 'Copperopolis' which has loads of info on industrial sites in Swansea.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 08 18:55 GMT (UK) »
There's a fair bit on the forge in "Copperopolis" but not photos unfortunately.

Bev.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 February 08 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation, Bev - I've got the book but all my books (100s!) have just been boxed and are in the loft/garage/under the stairs as we look to refurb the 'study' (box room, really). Take me a week to dig it out.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline aderyndu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 08 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernard & Bev,

thanks for the info on Copperopolis, I'll have to track a copy down. If Neath archives dont have it, I'll head down to Swansea - I'm sure they must have a copy there.

thanks again

Delyth

Williams - Bettws, Carms

Jones, Parker - Neath

Southwood - North Devon

Offline shanney

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 February 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
My Gt, Gt, Gt Grandparents William & Hannah Lloyd lived there during 1830s 1840s.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about it or knows if there are any old photographs of it in any books etc.....

Here's hoping!
Delyth

Hi Delyth
I know this was quite a while ago, but did you ever find anything?  My 3xG.Grandfather also lived at the forge, although much later than your relatives.
Best Wishes