Author Topic: Hanna Clan  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Hanna Clan
« on: Thursday 14 February 08 20:56 GMT (UK) »
The Clan Hanna, Hannah or Hannay www.clanhannay.us/toc.html

Listen to Geordie Hanna of Co. Tyrone, singing unaccompanied on "As I Roved Out" in 1976, about "Old Arboe" and Lough Neagh.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeEtQb_r0hs
I've read about Geordie on another site and learnt that besides singing folk songs he
"was an eel-fisherman, a miner, a huntsman and a football enthusiast. But he is mostly remembered for his singing and his beautifully rounded personality – as he said once:
 ‘Us Hannas come complete’".

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hanna Clan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 February 08 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Christopher.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 08 05:00 GMT (UK) »
The AncientFaces.com site contains two unknown Hanna photographs ...  www.ancientfaces.com/research/photos/Hanna/mystery

I've just been looking at an article on Lisburn Miscellany on lisburn.com and learnt that Denis O'D Hanna, author of "The Face of Ulster" as well as being a Belfast architect,
was the son of a historian from Lisburn, Co. Antrim. Two Belfast men, Denis O'D Hanna and Judge G. B. Hanna, were members of the first World-wide Council of Clan Hanna, Hannah or Hannay. The first General Meeting was held in London in 1962.

Marion Green succeeded Mr. Tony Lowe as the Clan Genealogist at the 2004 Clan AGM  ...  http://clanhannay.com/ClanHannay/History/1Genealogist

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 08 19:54 GMT (UK) »
That Ancient Faces website is interesting. Thanks for posting that, Christopher. I have passed this information on to a Hanna lady I know :)
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 08 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi griz,

There were a couple of bands in Co. Down, in the 1960s, which were led by a Hanna but I'm having problems finding information about him at the moment ...

Fred Hanna Showband [Newtownards]
Fred Hanna and the Langanmen [Newtownards]

Christopher

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 08 02:56 GMT (UK) »
My Hanna lady was pleased with the information you posted. Thanks, Christopher.  :)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 08 04:13 GMT (UK) »
The BBC Northern Ireland "Your Place and Mine" website has a page about George Hanna who was a Ranger of Tollymore Forest at the foot of the Mourne Mountains. George retired in 2003 after having worked in the Forest for fifty years. http://tiny.cc/kq78s

Many Scots name Hanna settled in Ulster in the seventeenth century and a large number then migrated to America in search of a better way of life - they made both moves due to religious persecution. www.hanna-family-history.com

Ros Davies' Co. Down, Ireland Genealogy Research Site
Hanna(h) A - J http://tinyurl.com/5p9amp
Hanna(h) L - W http://tinyurl.com/5p9amp