Author Topic: Are there Poulsen Photographers in Brisbane today? Trying to contact.  (Read 5661 times)

Offline medhist

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are there Poulsen Photographers in Brisbane today? Trying to contact.
« on: Saturday 16 February 08 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Are there still photographers working in Brisbane, Gympie, and other areas of Queensland?  My cousin, Esther Lilian Smith(1890-1974)  married Ernest Poul Poulsen (1886-1929) son of Poul Christiansen Poulsen who was a well-known photographer in several Queensland cities in the late-19th early 20th-century.  They had three children all of whom married and I think there are living descendants who I am trying to trace.

There are references to her in some roostweb trees but nothing very detailed.  As they were a well known family at one time, I wondered if some of them still work as photographers and I might be able to contact them that way.  Any help gratefully received.
Essex: Boosey/Boozey; Leveridge; McAllister: Morley: Webb
Suffolk: Morley; Leveridge:Crowe; Barnard: Reeve: Webb: Cobb
Norfolk: Hunt, Hammond, Groome,King's Lynn;
Cambridge: Groome
Islington, Holborn, Tottenham: Hunt; Nash
East London/West Ham/East Ham/Dagenham/Bow,Mile End: Smith; Morley: Boosey: McAllister: Webb
Gloucestershire: Smith; Fildes: Ashwin: DJones; Lloyd; Prior; Jenkins;Mitchell; Phillips
Somerset: Smith; Jenkins; Wyatt;Cole;Mitchell
Scotland: McAllister; Love;Lang;Ferguson

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are there Poulsen Photographers in Brisbane today? Trying to contact.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Medhist

Did a Google for you and found this link which mentions Poulsens of  Brisbane.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~msafier/photos/gympie.html#poulsen

If you look at the very bottom of the screen you will see that the author of the website gives thanks to:

"Thankyou to Sandy Barrie, Harry & Ken Poulsen, Nancy Edwards, Liz Smith, Jack Mathewson, Glen Durietz, Robert J. Noye, Gympie Library, Murray Views
Anyone with further information about the above photographers or with names of and information about other photographers not listed is welcome to contact me.  Due to the large number of such requests I am no longer able to date your photos personally. If you are seeking historical photos of Gympie I would suggest the organisations listed below or the John Oxley Library in Brisbane as my collection consists mainly of family portraiture. "

Stating the obvious, but I would contact the website author pronto, although the website has not been updated for over a year.

Cheers
Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Here is another website similar to the one above. 

Looking at the thank you section, it mentions a decendant of Poulsen's as well "Nancy Edwards (Poulsen descendant)".

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~msafier/photos/warwick.html#mhp

There is also an address for the Warwick Historical Society that may be able to assist you further.

Cheers
Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 04:11 GMT (UK) »
I've done a search of the white pages directory for Warwick and there is one Poulsen listed there...probably a long shot but I have pm'd you their phone number and address.

No Poulsens in Gympie.

Cheers
Caz

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Have a look here,  you might find it interesting.... there are photos of the photographer Poul Poulsen himself, his studio and other Poulsen family members and you can request copies by selecting the paper icon at the bottom of the pics.  :)

http://www.pictureaustralia.org/apps/pictureaustralia;jsessionid=73CE09C1635368CEB62C423747ABF651?term1=poulsen&loc1=&submit=search&attribute1=any+field&op6=and&mode=search

Cheers
Caz

Offline medhist

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 10:50 GMT (UK) »
That's wonderful. Thank you so much for your help.
East London/West Ham/East Ham/Dagenham/Bow,Mile End: Smith; Morley: Boosey: McAllister: Webb
Gloucestershire: Smith; Fildes: Ashwin: DJones; Lloyd; Prior; Jenkins;Mitchell; Phillips

Offline medhist

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I emailed the owner of the website and he was really helpful. Attached a photo of one of the family as well. Thanks.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Happy Days!!  :) :) :)

Really pleased for you.

Cheers
Caz

Offline DMEP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 June 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Medhist,
I am hoping that you are still using this service, as I note your last usage was a few years ago now.  Please respond if you are - Ernest and Esther were my grandparents.

Regards,
DMEP