Author Topic: reed family from brighton  (Read 9256 times)

Offline ??

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: reed family from brighton
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 February 08 12:48 GMT (UK) »

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 February 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve
Still a confusing puzzle to sort.

Jessie says he was from Brighton on the 1901,
so do you know who was his wife and where was she from? 
Was it the Nadia Reid of a similar age who also said she came from Brighton?
Do you think she would have been his first and only wife?
And were there any Reid children there with that family?
I ask because you may be able to locate your Mary Jane by her siblings.

In addition, I still come up with a blank when seeking the family in 1881, do you think they have been overlooked?

I honestly think your Reed/Reid/Read/Reades were not very precise when it came to declaring dates or places.  For example, the nearest IGI Sussex born Read to Jesse's age was baptised to a Jesse & Mary around 1850.

Perhaps you can get someone with access to ancestry.com that could split the difference and have a look for the family on the 1891 census for you.  Your Jesse with 12 year old daughter Mary Jane may be on that.

Roy

Offline ??

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 February 08 21:57 GMT (UK) »

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 February 08 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve
Seen the Middlesex stuff, You have been lucky haven't you?

I too had noticed the Jesse Reade marriage in Staines and wondered if this had been a second marrige, but never got round to posing that question.
I also noted that the births of the suggested siblings Joseph 17, Richard 15, Jane 15 all said to be born in Brighton' never turned up in any Brighton registration, but had begun to think (albeit incorrectly) that these and your Mary Jane were children of the new wife who had subsequently taken their step father's surname.

I suppose it was a little remiss of you to not give the full details from the 1901 census a little earlier, but know from my own enthusiasm that sometimes I too fully believe I have passed some additional information on but had actually forgotten to do so.

From what I have seen from your Middlesex helpers, you have positively identified your Reed family who for some reason were either unsure or reluctant to give their place of origin to the census enumerator.  Hopefully, their parents and earlier generations were a little bit more forthcoming with that sort of information to enable you to continue the search further back in time.  If they do turn out to be travelling people which the father's occupation suggests, I don't envy you the task, for they certainly will be difficult to pin down to any particular parish.

Well done with the search so far, and good luck for getting further back into the past in the future.

Roy G