Author Topic: Address in Rhosnessney  (Read 6787 times)

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
  • I'll do anything for a scooby snack!
    • View Profile
Re: Address in Rhosnessney
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 February 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
It would be great if you could find anything in the Palmer Centre, please do let me know.
If you've seen the census you would have noticed that my G Grandfather Edward, was a modeller (in a brickworks ?).  They must have moved from Ruabon abt 1899 to Rhosnessney looking at the birth places of the children, but his occupation was still the same in 1891 & 1901.  Were there any brickworks close by?

Doggy
JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 February 08 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Abenbury brickworks were about a mile away.
If you " Google " Abenbury Brickworks you should find the Wrexham Gov site , it has a bit on info on them.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hen Locsin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Acton estate was built following the first world war, :( ostensibly as housing for returning Military, but several strikes in the building trade in the 1920's put this idea on the " back Burner" :-[, and the houses were eventually completed, and occupied  by mineworkers employed at the newly sunk and opened Gresford Colliery.
Hen Locsin 8)

Offline dutchman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 May 12 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am just sorting through some old photos that my dad has and I'm curious to see if my grandfather address is still there or if not does someone know where or what became of it?
The address is 6 Park View, Rhosnessney.

Regards

Doggy
Rogers of Wrexham. Atkins of Launceston and Plymouth.
Henry Jones C/Sgt Royal Marines died 1940.  Matron Jones St Giles Hospital Camberwell  SE London -  1920-1950.

Offline dutchman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 May 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
Interesting chat on Rhosnessney.  My grandfather and family lived at 3 Park View.  Rogers by name.
My father was born there but in a few years they had left.  My grandfather was a 'Coal Hewer.
Rogers of Wrexham. Atkins of Launceston and Plymouth.
Henry Jones C/Sgt Royal Marines died 1940.  Matron Jones St Giles Hospital Camberwell  SE London -  1920-1950.

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 June 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
I feel that Park View was on what is now Rhosnesni Lane near to the Gate Hangs High pub. I am sure I have seen a photograph of it but I will have to check for you.

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 06:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought I was right. You know how you remember something but you can't remember where you've seen it.

Park View is still there actually. It is on the left hand side of Rhosnesni Lane coming from Dean Road towards the now roundabout with Borras Road. Further along on the left is the Gate Hangs High pub which can be seen on the photograph.

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 06:57 BST (UK) »
Incidentally the Acton Estate was designed by Lord Abercrombie in the 1920's and was built on land previously belonging to Acton Hall.

It was the Garden Village estate which was built in 1913 that was built to house the miners and officials of Gresford Colliery.

Garden Village is further north on the left of Chester Road going out of Wrexham town.