Author Topic: Deans/Geddes family in Down  (Read 12246 times)

Offline tigger_lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deans/Geddes family in Down
« on: Tuesday 19 February 08 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am finally starting on the Irish side of my tree and am looking to get information on my gg grandmother Jane Deans who was from Ireland. Her parents were Hugh Deans and Margaret Geddes who appeared to have moved to Lanarkshire, Scotland c1851 as they appear on the 1851 census there and had a daughter Jessie born after the census was done.

1851 - 133 Castle Street, Hamilton

Hugh Deans 35 Labourer Ireland. Down
Margaret Deans 36 Labourer's Wife Ireland, Down
Eliz. Deans 11 Labourer's Daughter Ireland, Down
Margt Deans 8 Labourer's Daughter Ireland, Down
Jane Deans 6 Labourer's Daughter Ireland, Down

From Hugh (1884) and Margaret's (1900) DCs, Margaret's parents were not known but Hugh's were listed as William Deans and Margaret Thomson.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I am pretty able to deal with looking up Scottish records but I have no experience of Irish ones.

Many thanks

Tracey
THOMSON - Shotts, Allanton
DEANS - Lanarkshire, Bathgate, Armadale, Ireland, Ayrshire
PATERSON - Shotts, West Lothian, Midlothian
CAMERON - Motherwell, Kilmallie
WHITEHEAD - Dunblane
BRODIE - Whitburn, Stronsay
DICK - West Lothian
SEDGEWORTH/SIGSWORTH - Lanarkshire, Paisley, Durham
PARVIN/PARVEN - Yorkshire, Lanarkshire
SCOTT - Lanarkshire
GREENWELL - Armadale, Bathgate
HUNTER - Armadale, Bathgate
LISTER - Fife, West Lothian
GRAHAM - Polmont
ROBERTSON - Polmont

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deans/Geddes family in Down
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Strangely enough to get information on the family in Ireland you will probably have more luck searching through the Scottish records. For example. did Margaret die in Scotland? there may be information about her family on her death certificate, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tigger_lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Margaret and Hugh both died in Scotland, hence the details I have regarding Hugh's parents but there were no details for Margaret's, as I said.

Where is a good source for Irish/Down BMD?

Tracey
WHITEHEAD - Dunblane
DICK - West Lothian
SCOTT - Lanarkshire
GRAHAM - Polmont
ROBERTSON - Polmont

Offline tomdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am finally starting on the Irish side of my tree and am looking to get information on my gg grandmother Jane Deans who was from Ireland. Her parents were Hugh Deans and Margaret Geddes who appeared to have moved to Lanarkshire, Scotland c1851 as they appear on the 1851 census there and had a daughter Jessie born after the census was done.

1851 - 133 Castle Street, Hamilton

Hugh Deans 35 Labourer Ireland. Down
Margaret Deans 36 Labourer's Wife Ireland, Down
Eliz. Deans 11 Labourer's Daughter Ireland, Down
Margt Deans 8 Labourer's Daughter Ireland, Down
Jane Deans 6 Labourer's Daughter Ireland, Down

From Hugh (1884) and Margaret's (1900) DCs, Margaret's parents were not known but Hugh's were listed as William Deans and Margaret Thomson.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I am pretty able to deal with looking up Scottish records but I have no experience of Irish ones.

Many thanks

Tracey

Offline tomdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am descended from the Deans family - Eliza Deans - Jane Dean's sister - she was my great, great grandmother, and therefore I am also descended from Margaret Geddes.

I share the same frustration about her death record not supplying her parents details but am trying to find out more on the Geddes line. One thing i do know is that they are from, in and around, Killinchy in County Down  (as were the Deans). There was a cluster of Geddes family members in that area and are graves going back to the 1700s - but as yet I can't find proof of who Margaret's parents were.

I am aware from your postings that you have carried out research on the Scottish side, but just to let you know that I have carried out extensive research on the Deans - Hugh + Margaret + their 4 daughters - Eliza, Margaret, Jessie and Jane.  As I say, i am descended from Eliza and have a MASSIVE family tree stemming from her. Margaret and her family went to England and I have begun to trace their descendants. Jessie Deans migrated to Canada in 1911 with her family and I have significant details on them and some of their details. With regard to your direct ancestor Jane - I have a photo of her and her husband and a number of her descendants and have traced and been in contact with current relatives. I'm happy to share this information with you if you haven't already got it.

By the way, if you are JANE, who I have already made contact with, please forgive me Jane, I can't tell from this who you are.

Regards

Tom Donnelly - descendant of Margaret Geddes

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;
Hugh DINES
Margaret GEDDES
17 November 1838, Presbyterian, Killinchy, Down, Ireland
(Source Ireland Marriages 1619-1898)

Possible?
Margaret GADDIS, 12 April 1812, Presbyterian, Killinchy, Down, Ireland
Father FELIX Gaddis
1861 Census Margaret is born c 1811 and Brides usually Married in their own Parish.

Source;
https://www.familysearch.org/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline tigger_lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

Thank you so much for the information, I would be grateful for anything you could supply on the Deans'. I am descended through Jane Deans and Andrew Thomson's son James.

Trish1120 - the marriage looks a good one but will need to look closer at the birth. Thank you!

Tracey
WHITEHEAD - Dunblane
DICK - West Lothian
SCOTT - Lanarkshire
GRAHAM - Polmont
ROBERTSON - Polmont

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Good luck to you both :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline tomdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both - I believe that the marriage is correct even though Hugh's surname is mispelt - not sure about the birth, but might be. I will keep in touch and share as much as I can.

Tracey - could you supply me with info on your line?

My understanding is that James Thomson married Annie Scott on 17 Nov 1905 in Cambusnethan, Wishaw. I think I have 3 children for them that I am certain about and possibly three more that I am not (there could be more of course) - would be great if you could confirm details and to see which line you come from.

The three I have which i think are right are:

Andrew Thomson b28 Aug 1906 Cambusnethan
Annie Thomson b19 Jan 1909 Cambusnethan - TWIN
Jane Thomson b19 jan 1909 Cambusnethan - TWIN

There were 3 Thomson's born Cambusnethan with 'Scott' as their middle name, so I was wondering if any of the below were children of James Thomson and Annie Scott?

David Scott Thomson b1912  -  John Scott Thomson b1916 - Hugh Scott Thomson b1920.

Any info you can provide would be gratefully received. Watch out for more info from me soon, for now though here is another photo.  The attached is JANET THOMSON - Jane Deans and Andrew Thomson's fifth child (as you know they had seven). Janet was born 19 Nov 1880 in Cambusnethan and died Oct 10th 1955 in Paisley, Scotland. She married a Paisley poilceman called David Wilson and had EIGHT children including one who died in a famous WW2 incident and another who died having an abortion (she was divorced at the time). I am in contact with the descendants of one of Janet's children and have a number of photos - they are in Canada.

Anyway - the attached is Janet Thomson - your James Thomson's sister.

Thanks

Tom