Author Topic: "MUTTONEYE" - Henry Lowther bc1886  (Read 25341 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: "MUTTONEYE" - Henry Lowther bc1886
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 March 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi WADEAL and welcome to Rootschat.  :)

Mary nee Tuckey is head of household in 1891, she married George Lowther

Hannah nee Dickenson married George's brother Reuben

George and Mary had six children, only four survived -
George married Annie Lyons
Charlotte married Lewis Davis
James married Mary Ann Betteridge
John/Edward died
Ernest married Frances Warren
Mary died we think in her mid 20's

Hannah and Reuben had eleven known children - I am in touch with one of their decendants hence my original post re Muttoneye

Which of the lines is yours?  be careful not to post details of living people  ;)

When you have made 3 posts on RC I can send you a personal message

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline WADEAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 March 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I am awaiting a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate to find his mother's name, but I believe that Mary's son George who was married to an Annie Lowther according to the Census records, was my great grandfather.

I know from my late Grandfather's marriage certificate that his father was a George James Lowther and the census records tell me that the only George and Annie Lowther that fit the timeline and location, were the two at Creek Road. I know my grandfather was born in Deptford in 1898 and so I think that I am on the right track.

Are you able to confirm that George (the one married to Annie Lyon's that is) had the middle name James? - that will almost certainly give me the direct link I am looking for and may save me a load of research. I might be able to add a few more Lowther's to your line.

Regards

WADEAL   

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 March 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi WADEAL - yes George James (Carvalho) Lowther m Annie Elizabeth Lyons at St James Bermondsey on 25th December 1897

Nine known children for this family born between 1899 and 1914

1901 living at 7 Armada Street
1911 still in Armada Street but at No.58

Suey  :)
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.

Offline WADEAL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 March 11 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much,

The Armada Street address ties up perfectly as well. This is my third E-mail here. So I should be able to use the personal mail.

I saw the Cavalho Lowther link and overlooked it - figuring that my lot probably never ventured out of the East End, but then again they did live near the docks. So I shouldn't be surprised if some were seafaring folk.

If you could drop me a personal mail I'd love to know what you have on the rest of the line and hopefully I may be able to fill in a few blanks, as there is a thriving Lowther clan in Nottingham where my Grandfather moved during the Second War.     

Offline bermondseygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Just absently looking on internet and came across this family tree for the name lowther and realised that the George carvalho Lowther married to Annie Elizabeth Lyons are my great grandparents, my grandmother was Florence Maud Lowther born 1903 in Armada street Deptford. I only know of seven children, my nan had two sisters Annie and Helen (Nelly) and brothers George, Ernie, John, Dickie.Can you tell me who were the other two. My dad has the original marriage lines for George Carvalho Lowther and Annie Elizabeth Lyons although a bit worn ! He also has some birth certificates, I dont know whose off hand. I do remember her mentioning Mutton Eye, who she said she was related to?. She said that he was Dorothy Squires father ??

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
There was a Charlotte Eugeine also know as Lottie who married a Davis.

jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
George who married Annie Lyons and Henry (Harry) aka Muttoneye were 1st cousins.  Their respective fathers were brothers.

George and Annies children as I have them were/are

Annie Charlotte b1900
Mary Ann b1902
Florence Maud 1903
Ernest 1905
Richard 1907  appears in 1911 census aged 3
John 1909   ditto aged 1yr
Katie J 1912  - from a search on freeBMD has the mothers maiden surname Lyons
Reuben 1914  - ditto

Henry (Harry) aka Muttoneye was the son of Reuban Lowther and Hannah Dickenson - he was first married in 1909 to Lydia Cavell, the marriage seems to have been short lived as both are back with respective parents in 1911.  From memory Lydia then claims to be single, while Harry has been listed with his parents living at Hughes Fields Deptford and is a 'widower of 2yrs'.  He has then been crossed through as he is not actually living with the family.  He is in a lodging house in Deptford occupation Street Singer.

Harry then becomes involved with Emily Jane Jacks, they lived happily together until death. This is where the Squires myth is born.  Emily was previously married to a Frederick Squires with whom she had 6 children.
My research says she and Harry had 2 daughters born in the early 1920's - both were singers and dancers.

Suey...

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
There was a Charlotte Eugeine also know as Lottie who married a Davis.

jennifer

Correct - Lottie is the sister of George who married Annie Lyons.   My husbands grandparents.

Suey

Offline bermondseygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Suey
Thanks for your help, I am still puzzled because My nan Florence Maud Lowther definately had a brother George who was older than her (The George Lowther  1898 who moved to Nottingham) and a sister Nelly who was the youngest in the family, there was quite a gap between Nelly (Helen) and the other children because my nan looked after Nelly when their mother Annie died. Nelly got married to Harry Inwood. but I can see no mention of George or Nelly on your list.
Also Three of the family Mary Ann, Katie J and Reuben is it possible they died as children
Thanks for your help
Regards