Author Topic: COMPLETED - Where exactly is Bigges Main?  (Read 23601 times)

Offline Phil K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Where exactly is Bigges Main?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 March 13 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Bigges Main - currently a golf club is where it once stood.
Wallsend Sports Centre was built on the village area (its now closed and boarded up, awaiting being redeveloped - I used to go there when a kid in 70-71, and boozing underage above the sports centre below. Recall the juke box in the canteen downstairs was wonderful)
There used to be a tram ran through the village from Wallsend to Gosforth, run by Tyneside Tramways

John - was the farm "East Farm" or "West Farm" ?
I lived about a mile and half away and there as a "West Farm Rd" heading in it's direction, and a friend once told me when going to school at Benfield (next to Bigges Main on the Newcastle side) that it was named for going to Bigges Main farm. But there was also an "East Farm Rd" elsehwere.... ::)

Offline flymick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I lived at Ringtons Employees Recreation Club,Walkergate,(NOW BENFIELD COMMUNITY CENTRE,I THINK), from 1945 until 1956.This is situated on the dirt track or wagonway leading to the Masons Arms.There were no houses around there at that time ,just fields.This area was known as Bigges Main.My friends and I would go past the piggeries and the Masons Arms,cross the Coast Road  and end up at Red Hill, which I think was probably an old pit heap.We also did our trainspotting at the nearby LNER line,and fished for tadpoles at the pond nearby.It was a great place when we were young.

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 March 18 01:43 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors who all lived in Bigges Main, Alexander Robson, Flora / Florence Robson nee Money, Darius Church Money, Eleanor Richardson. Looking for those elusive photos of Bigges Main also.
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 March 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
There is an 1859 map of Bigges Main at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/428722/566866/12/101338 with the Rows named.
Also this shows an old map and the present aerial view http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.9966&lon=-1.5527&layers=6&right=BingHyb
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 March 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
There is an 1859 map of Bigges Main at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/428722/566866/12/101338 with the Rows named.
Also this shows an old map and the present aerial view http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.9966&lon=-1.5527&layers=6&right=BingHyb
Stan
Thanks Stan, my relatives were on Low Row and Cross Row which I can see on these maps, right where the golf club building is now (or car park). I also managed to find an article about the Masons Arms. I had a different relative who kept pigs in the piggeries at Bigges Main.
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Offline jwilcox

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 June 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon Guys,

After doing a bit of research into the area i found out that you can get old shots of area on google earth - i believe these date back to 1945

i live in walkerville and use "biggies main" as it is called now as a cycle track/cut through from benfield road and always interested me in the mining history along there.

hope this screenshot helps

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 January 19 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for photos of Bigges Main for some time, and managed to find one of the Bigges Main old cottages on Flickr this evening, posted by Discover North Tyneside. For some reason I can’t add an attached photo to this thread - perhaps someone else can do it? Just go to Flickr, type in Bigges Main, and it’s the first photo that comes up.

I’m pleased as it has confirmed for me that a photo of my great grandparents IS taken outside their Bigges Main cottage as I suspected.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 February 19 08:48 GMT (UK) »
You are not able to have attachments to this Board, or any Lookup Board on RootsChat. The Photo URL is https://www.flickr.com/photos/discover-north-tyneside/44439508272/in/photolist-2aGY6yu

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 February 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
You are not able to have attachments to this Board, or any Lookup Board on RootsChat. The Photo URL is https://www.flickr.com/photos/discover-north-tyneside/44439508272/in/photolist-2aGY6yu

Stan

Thank you Stan