Author Topic: Help Tracing missing Joseph Davies from 1871 census  (Read 4608 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Tracing missing Joseph Davies from 1871 census
« on: Friday 22 February 08 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I wonder if anyone who has better skills than I have could please try and help me find my gt-gt- grandfather Joseph Davies in the 1871 census as I am having no joy.

I know he was born in Llandefeilog in 1850 to John and Esther (Estor) Davies.
I have found him age 1 with the family in 1851 (HO107, Piece 2472, Folio 302, Page 9)
Again in 1861 aged 11 (here the family is listed as Daves rather than Davies), (RG9, Piece 4115, Foilo 85, Page 26)
And in 1881 aged 30 when he was married to Mary (Bowen) (RG11, Piece 5378, Folio 79, Page 8.
I know he died in 1882

His profession was a labourer (on marriage certificate 1871) and coal miner (1881 census)

I thought I might have found him living out of the county as Joseph Davies, Boarder, born Pembrey, Carmarthenshire living at Cwdu, Llangynwyd, Maesteg ( RG10, Piece 5413, Folio 104, Page 25), but I think I have found this one again in 1881 in Maesteg (RG11, Piece 5327, Folio 90, Page 18), so have discounted him.

I have also found another Joseph Davies living out of the county at Bettws, Maesteg, Bridgend, Glanorgan, listed as born Llanviloef, Carmarthenshire (RG10, Piece 5412, Folio 12, Page 15). I am unaware of anywhere in Carmarthenshire called Llanviloef (has anyone heard of such a place?) and therefore there is a possibility that this could be a mistranscription of Llandyfeilog. However the profession given is Engine Driver not Labourer/Coal Miner.

I am also not convinced he was out of the county in 1871 as I know that in September of 1871 he married Mary Bowen, and on the marriage certificate he is listed as living at Pembrey. Also it looks like he was in the county in 1868 as Mary gave birth to my gt-grandfather John Bowen in May 1869 (listed as Bowen on his birth certfiicate with no father mentioned, but listed as John Davies when living with Mary (without Joseph) on the 1871 census).

I have tried variations on the surname Davis/Daves with no join. I am convinced he must be in the census somewhere bu may be under a mis-entry?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Offline GYPO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help Tracing missing Joseph Davies from 1871 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
 Hi.
       My 2xGREAT GRANDFATHER, JOSEPH DAVIES was a Marine stocker,born LLANLLWCH 1841 lived in Llanelli,Mansel st,number 34.I belive lost at sea between 1881-1888.If this is the same person he lived as i said 34 MANSEL ST, 1871.
                                           CHRIS.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
I found one that was a coal miner in 1871 and said he was from Pembrey - same as on his marriage cert - but I espect you ahe ruled him out as well.

Joseph Davies
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Relation: Boarder
Where born: Pembrey, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Civil parish: Llangynwyd
Town: Maesteg
County/Island: Glamorgan
Registration district: Bridgend
Sub-registration district: Maesteg
ED, institution, or vessel: 7a
Household schedule number: 113
Piece: 5413
Folio: 104
Page Number: 25
Household Members: Name Age
Margaret Williams 51
David Williams 19
Elizabeth Williams 16
Thomas Williams 11
William Williams 9
Lewis William 33
Thomas Jones 28
Joseph Davies 20
Thomas Williams 45

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for not getting back earlier. Thanks for the info. I think the most likely match is "I have also found another Joseph Davies living out of the county at Bettws, Maesteg, Bridgend, Glanorgan, listed as born Llanviloef, Carmarthenshire (RG10, Piece 5412, Folio 12, Page 15). I am unaware of anywhere in Carmarthenshire called Llanviloef (has anyone heard of such a place?) and therefore there is a possibility that this could be a mistranscription of Llandyfeilog. However the profession given is Engine Driver not Labourer/Coal Miner."

In the above entry he is listed as a Lodger living at the same address as Rachel Evans and her husband David Evans. This Rachel was born about 1837 and "my" Joseph had a sister Rachael born about 1836 so he could possible be lodging with his sister.

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Could indeed be with his sister. I have had someone in my tree classed as a lodger - he was actually the widowed father - but if you hadn't known it didn't tell you!

I'm sure ' Llanviloef' could have been becasue the census taker was unfamiliar with the name and din't know how to spell it himself!