Author Topic: AMOS, All  (Read 14535 times)

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
AMOS, All
« on: Sunday 09 January 05 22:09 GMT (UK) »
hi
am researching the surname AMOS
main areas are,
Northampton
warwick
westminster, lambeth, brixton
stockwell
would love to hear from anyone interested in this name
all the best
Maz

Offline MrsGee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Amos, All
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 05 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maz

I am also researching the AMOS surname but in different areas - Kent, Birmingham, Norfolk and Australia.  I think that the family may have also been to Liverpool and Buxton but haven't been able to confirm this yet.

Haven't traced very far back as we are struggling to find our great, great-grandparents and their children in Kent during the 1870's.  Our tree is going sideways at the moment as we have recently discovered a 'secret marriage' which has taken our research to Oz.

Although my family were born in Birmingham, my mom and aunt (both Amos') moved to Warwick in 1976 and are still living there now.  If you are interested in any of the places I am looking, let me know and I will pass on any info I have that may help.

Bye for now
Tanya
Amos
Woodhall/Woodall
Glassborow
Johnstone/Brand

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 05 12:50 GMT (UK) »
hi Tanya
great to hear from you. Could you please tell me the names, dates and areas of the kent Amos' please. I have one line that seems to go off in that direction so i might be able to help --- but dont hold your breath  8)
mariankntt@aol.com
if you would like to contact me direct use above email.
hope to hear from you
best wishes
Maz

Offline Joanne P

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 05 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maz and all researching the Amos family,

I am researching the Amos family from Kent.

I think the branch of the family listed in the 1851 census are my ancestors and have more information on them for anyone interested:

George Amos born c1819 married Fanny Gray born c1828
on 27th August 1849 at St Pauls church Deptford.

Children:
Frances Mary Amos, born 18th December 1850, baptised 12th January at St Pauls, Deptford

William Amos born c1854

There may be other children of the marriage but these are the only two I've found so far. Any further information would be very welcome.

William Amos married Emily Jane Maryon born 12th May 1855, and baptised on 3rd June 1855 at St Mary Whitechapel, Stepney. (Emily's parents were Charles Maryon and Mary Ann nee??)

William and Emily's children:
Frances, born 1873
Mary Ann, born 1875
Louise, born 1879
Emily, born 1880
Henry William (my great-grandfather), born 1886
Lily, born 1889

In the 1891 census the family was living at 17 New King Street, St Paul's, Deptford. William's father george was living with the family and both William and George were working as hawkers.

I have more information on Henry's family if anyone wants it. I'd love to have information on William's other children and their descendents!

Thanks!

Joanne P :)

Offline Detheridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 September 05 15:54 BST (UK) »
Researching Amos in Birmingham + Staffs. Gt. grandfatherS
Soloman b 1866 to Joseph + Emma Amos.  All the men in the family were brickmakers/bricklayers.  My father said they
worked on  canal building & travelled around.
Does this ring a bell with anyone.
Detheridge.

Offline flavia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 September 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Amos researchers,
I have a mention of a James Amos as an administrator of the Will of William Blades in 1891.  He was then living at 22 Kingsland Road, London, Middlesex.  There is also a John Samuel Amos as a witness at the second marriage of William Blades' father, also William, October 1839, which took place at Bethnal Green, so maybe there was an association between the familes for some years.  In 1891, James Amos and William Blades were both metal merchants.
Regards
Flavia

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 September 05 21:12 BST (UK) »
hi ya everyone
great to see so many Amos researchers out there.

hi Detheridge,
do you have any more info for your Joseph please?
Alot of my Amos' were from Northants and some were on the canals either rope makers, one lock keeper.

keep in touch everyone - who knows what we will come up with
best wishes
Maz

Offline Detheridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 05 15:37 BST (UK) »
Joseph Amos was married (in 1858) to Emma Hilton.  In 1861 census lived in Cheapside, Aston which is round the corner fron Bullring.  Also moved to black country but don'y know when.  Think he may have lived rough ot just travelled around working.  He died in 1892 in the Greet area which was then in Yardley, Worc.

Still looking - and driving myself slowly crazy.

Detheridge.

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 September 05 16:10 BST (UK) »
hi Detheridge
Thanks for that - but doesnt sound promising from my side of the Amos', never mind one day we will find our long lost relatives!!!
Im like you - driving myself crazy.
happy hunting
best wishes
maz ;D ???