Author Topic: Gallipoli & France 1917.. how many survived both?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Gallipoli & France 1917.. how many survived both?
« on: Sunday 24 February 08 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there has been any calculation of how many soldiers- UK, Aus & NZ-, who were at Gallipoli and survived, then posted to France and survived 1917 there?

My father was at both and I wonder how common this is.

charlotte

Offline Ros Fornaro

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gallipoli & France 1917.. how many survived both?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 08 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

Your father was a lucky man.

My cousin survived Gallipoli only to be killed in France.

Ros
Bell Coatbridge Sct
Cassels Dunbarton Lnk Sti Sct
Heggie Lnk Sct
Lusty Gls Eng Lnk Sct
McLuckie Stirling Sct
Moss Leek Sts Eng Vic Aust
Pride Gls Eng Geelong Vic Aust

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
My grandad Robert Casey from Stockton on Tees north east England served with the Kings Own Scottish
Borderers 1912-18, he was sent to join the 2nd battalion in France 4 weeks after they landed 1914
{ BEF } reasons not known to me he ended up being sent back to Depot hospital Berwick upon Tweed,
then sent to Galliopli with 1st battalion until campaign called off, then sent back into France for the Somme Offensive were he fell badly wounded, bullet & shrapnel left leg, months in Hospital before being disharged 1918, the wounds he recieved that first morning of the battle would lead to his early death in 1939, we his grandchildren never got to see our grandad, no photo survived, would have loved to have seen what he looked like.
All the best Derek
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Derek.  Brave man, your grandad.

In letters from France, my father said the guns never stop, day or night.
 He also said France was a picnic compared with Gallipoli....some picnic ::)

charlotte

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just been looking through photo's on Illustrated Chronicle's Album, posted on this site, I was convinced I
would find a photo of my grandad Robert Casey. Pte 6371 amongst the wounded, he was wounded twice, first  early
October 1914, by german dumb-dumb bullets, I know this because he was interviewed in The Royal Sunderland,
Hospital, the article appearing in the Sunderland Daily Echo & Shipping Gazette, Tuesday 20th October 1914, no
photo as far as I know was taken ( sadly for me) over these last few days i've been goung  through July-December 1916, found several photo's of other Kings Own Scottish Borderers who were wounded on the Somme, but again no photo of grandad, he was wounded for the second time 1st July 1916, no photo of my grandad Robert ever came down to me from my late father, was hoping and praying he would appear among the wounded shown.
Seems we are not going to see what grandad Casey looked like, bet I'm not on my own there.
All the best.
Derek
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
I only looked at Wiki and it gives some different numbers. So, here goes but don't take it as gospel.

60,000 Australians landed of whom 26,111 casualties, incl. 8,141 killed. 2,779 New Zealanders killed. The Australian casualties look about right, between 1 in 3 or 4 killed as against wounded.

Three of my Australian 'cousins' were on the Western Front, all survived, but one was repatriated due to trench foot by the sound of it. Presumably, they were first at Gallipoli. My great aunts stepson was a Captain, company commander in 13th Division, put his head up and received a bullet in the head. Died 2 or 3 days later. He's buried at Hellas.

I know next to nothing about Gallipoli and don't want to. It was a brilliant plan (Churchill) first naval, then landings of troops, yet it was the most inept operation since King Charles I's La Rochelle expedition. The sailors and troops were superb but the admirals and generals were totally incompetent.

Overall in WWI, 416,809 Australians enlisted, of whom 60,000 killed and 156,000 wounded. That's from a population of less than 5 million! Can't find figures for New Zealand.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Three of my Australian 'cousins' were on the Western Front, all survived, but one was repatriated due to trench foot by the sound of it. Presumably, they were first at Gallipoli.

I know next to nothing about Gallipoli and don't want to. It was a brilliant plan (Churchill) first naval, then landings of troops, yet it was the most inept operation since King Charles I's La Rochelle expedition. The sailors and troops were superb but the admirals and generals were totally incompetent.
There is no reason to assume that an Australian who served in France had previously served in Gallipoli - most didn't.

Gallipoli was an insane venture from the outset - Churchill was rightly sacked for his part in it.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 03:25 GMT (UK) »
New Zealand casualties - from Wikipedia
"The total number of New Zealand troops and nurses to serve overseas in 1914–18, excluding those in British and other Dominion forces, was 100,444, from a population of just over a million. Forty-two percent of men of military age served in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, fighting in the Gallipoli Campaign and on the Western Front. 16,697 New Zealanders were killed and 41,317 were wounded during the war – a 58 percent casualty rate."
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 03:33 GMT (UK) »
One of my great uncles, Thomas FARRELL, was in 1/4th battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. He fought at Gallipoli, in Palestine, then in France in 1918. He returned to Scotland in 1919.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,