Author Topic: Peacock  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Naomi Appleby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peacock
« on: Sunday 24 February 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find info on my grandfather Peacock (cant remember his first name) who lived in Kirby Stephen around 1900, and any of his family. If I remember right, the family use to live on Mellbecks, and if you come back up the road towards the main road to the village, there was a little plot of ground where my grandfather and grandmother were buried.

Any help would be great

Nai
Doust - Sussex
Tillman - Sussex?
Lee - Middlesex
Peacock - Yorkshire
Clavert - Yorkshire

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Peacock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 08 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nai,

I have searched the 1901 census for Peacock's in Westmorland, none seem to be living in Kirby Stephen or Mellbecks.

Infact none of the Peacock's seem to have either stayed in Westmorland or been born there (does that make sense?)

What else can you remember of your grandfather?  Who was his wife?  Can we work back from his children (don't put their names on here if they're still alive though).  Do you have access to your parents birth certs or marriage cert?  They would give you your grandfathers name and that would really narrow down the search.

Sorry I can't be of more help right now, but with a little more info I'm sure we'll find him!  :)

Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
nai
i think you will find it is kirkby stephen not kirby stephen
in 1901 it is in cumberland not westmoreland
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 08 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think it is Westmorland.  It is confusing though.  I shall be there after Easter if that is helpful.  The burial ground is on the main road on the way out to Brough.
Andrea

Offline Naomi Appleby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 08 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. Will try and find more info and post it here.

Dont think my grandparents burial has a headstone. When they died,
the family couldnt afford a head stone. Who would I need to contact
to find out the plot of their resting place??

Nai
Doust - Sussex
Tillman - Sussex?
Lee - Middlesex
Peacock - Yorkshire
Clavert - Yorkshire

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 February 08 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nai,

Had another look for Kirkby Stephens in both Cumberland and Westmoreland - nothing obvious comes up, I can't even see any Peacocks in the surrounding villags either.  Perhapsh your grandfather was somewhere else in the early 1900's and only moved to Kirkby Stephens at a later date.

Where was your mum/dad born?  Can they remember anything more about your grandfather and family?

Good Luck, let us know what you find out and we can help you from there.

Legs
xxxx

P.S I can't find Mellbecks (or similar on my map!)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 08 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Mellbecks is a street  in Kirkby Stephen.  It runs along the river from the old post office down to Frank's Bridge.  Very pretty area.  There were certainly Peacocks in KS back in the 1850s as my street directory index mentions a farmer called Christopher Peacock.
Andrea

Offline Naomi Appleby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Will let you know, when I have more info :)
Doust - Sussex
Tillman - Sussex?
Lee - Middlesex
Peacock - Yorkshire
Clavert - Yorkshire

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Unfortunately, Westmorland Records Office at Kendal does not have a microfiche for any cemetery at Kirkby Stephen, as they do with some other towns and villages in the County, so no luck there.

Also drawn a blank with the directories. The only Peacock anywhere in commercial or private was a Miss Peacock, Newbiggin, Kirkby Stephen in 1894 & 1897. Nothing in 1906 & 1910.

There is also a shortage of deaths for Peacock in the registration district on www.freebmd.co.uk (although not comprehensive), unless it was registered elsewhere?

Picking up on your comment about being buried on a 'little plot of ground', leads me to think that they may have been non-conformists? Do you know their, or their children's, religion?
I seem to recall that there were chapels for Wesleyans and Congregationalists in the town.

It may be worth enquiring at Kirkby Stephen Community and Council Centre, 17 Market Street, KS (017683 71325) or www.kirkby-stephen.com/ as they say they have become a 'one stop shop' for local information.

Another possible contact could be Margaret Gowling of the Upper Eden History Society (017683 41007) or www.kirkby-stephen.com/special-interest.html to find out which people were buried there.

You may also wish to consider contacting Technical Services (cemeteries), Eden District Council at www.eden.gov.uk (01768 862152) as they should have details for the actual burial plots.

Good luck & keep digging!

Chris