Author Topic: MACKAY/MCKAY Family at Dornoch and Assynt  (Read 42174 times)

Offline silvora

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MACKAY/MCKAY Family at Dornoch and Assynt
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 October 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine,

I have just found this site as I have just begun to trace my family. My great grand-father and great grand mother were Alexander Ingram and Willemina McKay. Thanks to you I have a good idea of Willeminas background but not anything as yet about Alexander. My grand-mother was Agnes Ingram married name Stewart and she married George Duncan Stewart. They lived for some time until their deaths in Carluke near Lanark.
Hope to speak to you soon.

Agnes

Offline silvora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 October 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
Willinas daughter Mary seems to have married twice. The second husband was George McAndie Ross. I remember my grandmother visiting relatives called George Ross in Airdrie.I presume this may be the son of this second marriage. I also wondered if anyone had come across Nellie and Sarah Roy who lived in Mosstodloch near Elgin. They were I think cousins of my grandmother Agnes Ingram.
Agnes

Offline ednita

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info re: Donald specifically his wife.
My son descends through his mother from mary who married Alexander Porter.
Don Porter from Durban in South Africa is a seperate descendent descendent.
My son descends: Alexander and Mary
                             Robert and Rose
                             Mary and Fenning Norman Kidson
                             Allan and Beryl
                             Anita and Edward
                             Ian or owen

Further, one of the Mackays of the family, recognised by allan as a cousin, was the first to fly solo from England to South Africa.

If you have any further information in regards to the nicholsons I would be grateful.
I feel there is some connection to Alexander Porter from Culsalmond to the Mackays, probably through the Nicholsons, but have not been able to establish anything.
It is through Don Porters work that i have established the link thus far.

Edward

Offline DeeMackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 February 11 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Am new to this site and so very excited to find confirmation of desendents of Donald James Mackay who married Margaret Nicholson.  Donald is my 3 great grandfather.  His son George Levison Gower Mackay married Elizabeth Hardie in Oldmeldrum, Scotland.  One of their daughters, Maggie Jane Mackay, Married John Webster, and their daughter Annie was my grandmother, born in Old Meldrum, Scotland, came to live in South Africa and married William McCallum.

I haven't been able to find out why Annie came to live in South Africa - would anyone know?   

Many thanks
Dee

Webster, Mackay, Oldmeldrum,  Nicholson, Sutherland, McCallum, Dunoon, Harker, McLellan, Russell, McAlpine, Kennedy, Smith, Cumming, Lane, Devon,  Cloete, Vienings, Leemhuis, Schoonraad, Auret, Raatjes,  Kuiper, Holland, Germany, Myers, Yorkshire, Goodger, Penfold, Watson, Coates, Williamson, Marshall,  Wallis, Galer, London, Horrell, Radford,  Howe, Ruff, Oelrichs, Brown, Brenchley, Treviranus, Lorent, Kohne, Timmerman,  Dwerhagen, Huneken, Schlepe, Schnedermann, Von Aschen,

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 February 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Dee to rootschat
I'm sure someone will come along and help you soon
I too have MacKays in my family there a lot of them in Scotland
Happy hunting
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline christmack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 February 11 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear DeeMackay,

Have just found your response to the request for information on your Mackay family.
Donald James Mackay and Margaret Nicholson are my Husband's Great Great Grandparents.

Other information on the Ancestors of Donald Mackay and Margaret is as follows :

Donald's parents were William Mackay b.C1760 and Marian Sutherland bC1770.

Their children that I know of were :

1. Elspet  born 6.2.1795 in Golspie died 7.2.1891 marr.James Murray 9.5.1819
2. Donald James born 7.7.1801 Golspie died 26.9.1876 marr. Margaret
                                                                                        Nicholson 13.12.1823
3. Anne    born 8.8.1807 Golspie died 1877 marr.Duncan MacPherson 9.7.1885
4. Alexandrina born 2.2.1813 in Rogart.

Margaret Nicholson's parents were Donald Nicholson and Mary MacDougall.

I do have some census records etc that I could send to you if you would like to send me your e.mail address in a personal message.

Cheers, Christine
ATTRILL    (Isle of Wight)
BULL        (I of W)
COLLINGWOOD (Lincs, Eng)
ERHAR(D)T (Baden,Germany)
HAIDLE     (Wurt, Germany)
HENNESEY (Limerick}
HORWOOD (Isle of Wight)
JUDD        (I of W)
KREUTZMANN(Lubeck-West & Gustrow-East Germany)
LAWLOR (Lim, Ire)
LENEY     (Sussex,Eng)
MACKAY  (Suth, Scot)
MCKEON (Ros, Ire)
NEWIN    (I of W)
NICHOLSON (Ross, Scot)
O'BRIEN (Tipp, Ire)
PAXFORD (Oxford,  Eng)
ROWDEN (M/sex,Eng
SMITH (Hants)
TURNER (Surrey & M/sex, Eng)D
WULFRATH (Gustrow - East Germany)

Offline DeeMackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 February 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
Thanks Christine, would love to have copies of anything you can send me - just need to figure out how to send you a pm ..... will get back to you.

Thanks
Dee
Webster, Mackay, Oldmeldrum,  Nicholson, Sutherland, McCallum, Dunoon, Harker, McLellan, Russell, McAlpine, Kennedy, Smith, Cumming, Lane, Devon,  Cloete, Vienings, Leemhuis, Schoonraad, Auret, Raatjes,  Kuiper, Holland, Germany, Myers, Yorkshire, Goodger, Penfold, Watson, Coates, Williamson, Marshall,  Wallis, Galer, London, Horrell, Radford,  Howe, Ruff, Oelrichs, Brown, Brenchley, Treviranus, Lorent, Kohne, Timmerman,  Dwerhagen, Huneken, Schlepe, Schnedermann, Von Aschen,

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 February 11 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Dee you have to make three posts just send one back here to me saying thanks

Then click on Christines aviator and go down to send this rootchatter a personal Message click on that
then you just post whatever you want to tell her or him
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline DeeMackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 February 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Elizabeth, for both your posts, encouraging and helpful, I hope we're related  :)