Author Topic: Unusual name De Mamiel?  (Read 41606 times)

Offline gerardus5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual name De Mamiel?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 October 16 14:00 BST (UK) »
I have a Caroline Sophia DE MAMIEL being daughter of Catherine QUIRK (b1843 d1922) and Henry Hoener DE MAMIEL (b1840 d1916) in my file - for whom I have been unable to determine any death information.  Thanks for the lead for England!

Caroline Sophia was 5th of 14 children to this couple.  She was born 9 Jun 1868 at Indigo Creek, Victoria, AUS.

Henry and Catherine married 21 Apr 1861 at Chiltern, Victoria, AUS.

I do noy know much about Catherine QUIRK.

Henry Hoener DE MAMIEL was the 4th child of Henri HAENER and Anna Maria Caroline SWIFT.  This couple appear to have used the surname DE MAMIEL from their marriage in 1833.  Henry was born 10 Feb 1840 in Dublin, Ireland.

Hope this helps.
HellyMelly

Offline gerardus5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 October 16 15:41 BST (UK) »
I have just been reading the posts regarding the name de Mamiel.  I will begin at the beginning. The name Haener originated in Germany. Jean Haener married Marguerite Arnould, dates unknown. They had a son, Jean-Jacques Haener, born Umstadt, Germany, in 1710 (died 1794) where his parents lived. He moved to France in 1730 with his parents and settled in Nancy where he became printer to the king, married Anne-Willem de Porceaux (1718-1788) in 1737. They had a son, Henri (1744-1817), who took over the printing business.  He married Magdaleine Perrin (1751-1787) in 1770. They had a son Jean-Baptiste Nicolas Haener (1776-1838), printer, who married Anna Therese Mamiel (1778-1818) in 1801. They had a son, Born 1802 Department of Meurthe, Nancy, France, whom they named Henri Haener de Mamiel, combining both family names. He married Anna Maria Caroline (Caroline) Swift (1804-1849) on 15/01/1833, at Brighton, England, eldest child of Godwin Swift (1779-1814) and Jane Sophia Swift (1785-1851). I have traced the Swift family back beyond William the Conqueror, Alfred the Great and all royal houses of Western Europe. Yes, they were well connected. Captain Henri remarried and died 1866. Stanislaus Haener and Henry Hoener left Ireland in mid 1850's. The name Hoener became widely used as another first name. Stanislaus, the eldest of seven children, was born Brussels, Belgium 1834, arrived in Australia with Elizabeth Bourke, born Killyon, Ireland 1837. They were never married but had eight children. They separated 1871. He married Eliza Holmes, born County Donegal, Ireland 1843, in 1773, and had they had one child; Eliza died 1880; Stanislaus married her niece, Susan Jane Holmes, and they had eleven children. In all Stanislaus fathered 20 children, 3 boys and 17 girls. Stanislaus farmed at Indigo Ck V., then bought the hotel, post office, shop and large areas of land at Darlingon Point on the Murrumbidgee River, sold them and bought firstly Violet Bank for 3,043 pounds followed by the adjoining Morebringer Station on the northern bank of the Murray River on the outskirts of Howlong NSW. where he and Susan Jane built a substantial homestead 1894-97 which still stands. Stanislaus died 1899 and is buried at Howlong. Susan Jane and two of their children are also buried there. Meanwhile Elizabeth Bourke married Robert Stubbs in 1873. She died in a fire in Eldorado in 1893. Henry Hoener (1840-1916) married Catherine Quirk (1843-1922), eldest daughter of James Quirk of Banshee, Co. Tipperary, Ireland, at Chiltern 21/04/1861, and became extensive property owners around Barnawartha V, including a hotel there. They reared 14 children, 6 of whom went to Western Australia, in early adulthood.

Offline gerardus5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 05 November 16 01:54 GMT (UK) »
More on de Mamiels.
George Lucas Hoener de Mamiel 1843-926, and Thomas Gordon Charles Hoener de Mamiel 1845-1923,  followed their two elder brothers to Australia while Oswald, Ciserina and Fernanda accompanied their stepmother and three half siblings to USA. Fernanda became a well known entertained in San Francisco and Oswald worked there while ciserina went to BC, Canada.
Stanislaus had 20 children, eight with Elizabeth Bourke namely: Caroline 1856-1922, married (1)Thomas Renouf Mahy 1831-1884, (2) Robert Harrington de Graves; George Lucas de Mamiel 1857-1943 married (1) Eliza Dunstan; Jane Sohpia 1858-, married Connery; Elizabeth Mary 1860-1928 married Nugent; Sarah 1861-1945 married (1) Dr Daniel O'Leary (2) James Carroll; Margaret 1962-1945 married (1) Heartneady (2) Lawrence Henry Pittman; Mildred Jane, known as Jane 1864-1938 married Henry William Fenn and had ten children; Julia 1867- married William Aldridge who was accidentally killed at Mundaring Weir WA in 1901, after they had separated.
One with Eliza Holmes namly Jessie McIntyre de Mamiel 1874- married James Wyse whose family owned property around Howlong.
Eleven with Susan Jane Holmes namely Jessie Katherine (Kate) 1879-1957 did not marry; Isabella Mary Ann 1881-1962 married McVean; Lily Jane 1882-1962 married Anderson); Annie Marie 1884-1910 did not marry died by drowning in lagoon on 'Morebringer' Howlong; Rosina Matilda 1888-1961 did not marry became a music teacher in Albury; Alexander Stanislaus 1889-1942, did not marry, suffered a debilitating injury in childhood; Margaret Cecilia (Pearl) 1892-1971 married Hore; Daisy Evelyn 1893-1973 married Frost; Ruby Olive (Ollie) 1895-1983 married Samuel Heywood and lived near Seymour V; Leslie Clarence 1897-1936 married and had three daughters, inherited half the estate when Stanislaus died in 1899, however sold it in 1925 and moved to Culcairn where he opened a commission agency and became an auctioneer.
Henri married Catherine Quirk born 1843 Banshee, Co. Tipperary Ireland. They had fourteen children namely: Margaret; Jack; Fernandah; Harold; Honora; James; Caroline Sophia; Oswald; Henry; George; Ernest; Ethel; Catherine Elizabeth and Arthur. At least six of them moved to Western Australia including James, Oswald, Ernest, Caroline (Carrie), Catherine and Arthur. Many grandchildren became highly qualified in music. Veronica, daughter of Carrie became internationally known. She and Mercia, Mavis, Norrie, gained their qualificatons through Trinity College of Music London.

Offline wheatsheep

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 June 17 07:25 BST (UK) »
What a fantastic thread!

Henri married Catherine Quirk born 1843 Banshee, Co. Tipperary Ireland. They had fourteen children namely: Margaret; Jack; Fernandah; Harold; Honora; James; Caroline Sophia; Oswald; Henry; George; Ernest; Ethel; Catherine Elizabeth and Arthur. At least six of them moved to Western Australia including James, Oswald, Ernest, Caroline (Carrie), Catherine and Arthur. Many grandchildren became highly qualified in music. Veronica, daughter of Carrie became internationally known. She and Mercia, Mavis, Norrie, gained their qualificatons through Trinity College of Music London.

gerardus5 do you have any information on Mercia's heritage? She was my great aunt and I'm trying to find out more about my great-grandfather's lineage, he was Phillip Francis De Mamiel (Western Australia). I don't think I can send DM's yet as I'm too new but I would love to know if anyone has more info about this line - perhaps I can contribute something new to the De Mamiel picture too!

Offline gerardus5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 06:20 BST (UK) »
I have lots of information on Mercia de Mamiel. Mercia is the daughter of Oswald and Isabel Grace Mansfield (known as Grace), and lived with them in Stirling Street, Perth. She is a full cousin of Veronica Mansfield, noted singer, entertainer, meaning her father's sister, Caroline de Mamiel, married her mother's brother, Joseph Mansfield. She was a debutante at Government House Ballroom on 10/8/1932 while attending Sacred Heart Convent High School Perth. In 1934 Mercia passed with honours Grade II Singing. In 1937 she accompanied her mother and noted singer, Senor Nino Marotta, to Italy to continue her music studies. She then went to England where she married Godfrey Tuxford late 1939. In April 1946, Mercia was back in Perth for her first public appearance since returning from England when she sang at Everyman's Music Woodwind recital, Winthrop Hall, Perth. I have little information on Phillip Francis de Mamiel at this stage but will post when I have more. Google 'trove anl' and learn how to acess newspaper articles. Cheers

Offline gerardus5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 06:26 BST (UK) »
I have lots of information on Mercia de Mamiel. Mercia is the daughter of Oswald de Mamiel and Isabel Grace Mansfield (known as Grace), and lived with them in Stirling Street, Perth. Oswald is the son of Henry de Mamiel and Katherine Quirk of Marnawartha Vic. Henry is mentioned in previous posts. She is a full cousin of Veronica Mansfield, noted singer, entertainer, meaning her father's sister, Caroline de Mamiel, married her mother's brother, Joseph Mansfield. She was a debutante at Government House Ballroom on 10/8/1932 while attending Sacred Heart Convent High School Perth. In 1934 Mercia passed with honours Grade II Singing. In 1937 she accompanied her mother and noted singer, Senor Nino Marotta, to Italy to continue her music studies. She then went to England where she married Godfrey Tuxford late 1939. In April 1946, Mercia was back in Perth for her first public appearance since returning from England when she sang at Everyman's Music Woodwind recital, Winthrop Hall, Perth. I have little information on Phillip Francis de Mamiel at this stage but will post when I have more. Google 'trove anl' and learn how to acess newspaper articles. I have lots of information on Oswald. Cheers

Offline Gargoyle45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 07 August 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Philip Francis DeMamiel 1908 - 1963, married to Miriam Beatrice ?.
Children Judith, Jeanette, Lorraine, Michael and Robert.
Buried in the Southern Cross cemetery, billion graves refers.

Offline Dunk49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 29 December 17 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Roby,

I am Sydney based - but grew up in Whitton NSW where Gordon (as he was known) and Catherine settled.

I will be in touch soon...

Helly Melly
My grandmother was the daughter of Hoenor George William Demamiel (A resident of Whitton NSW)She was born Catherine E Demamiel in 1909 and married David John McAliece in 1926 at Griffith. I believe her mother was Rose Hannah Hutchins,but can not find a record of this.Could there be a connection.
Don Dowling.

Offline Dunk49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 30 December 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was the daughter of Hoenor George William Demamiel ( A long time resident of Whitton NSW) She was born Catherine E Demamiel in1909 and married David John McAliece in 1926.
I believe her mother was Rose Hannah Hutchins,but can not find a record of her parents marriage.
                                                                                                                        Don Dowling.