Author Topic: Magdalene Laundry Name Project  (Read 4761 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Magdalene Laundry Name Project
« on: Wednesday 27 February 08 05:27 GMT (UK) »
The Magdalene Laundry Name Project lists names of women who were incarcerated at the High Park laundry at Drumcondra. Click here to see the names If you recognize a name as that of a family member or a lost loved one, please click on the name to advise the Project team. They will be adding additional Laundry sites and names as we compile them. The names and dates of death are shown on the Adoption Ireland site too.

If you think you may have lost a loved one to a Magdalene Laundry elsewhere in Ireland, please e-mail the team and let them know the name, age (approximate), as well as the Laundry where the individual was incarcerated.

"A Circle Story" by Mari Steed, who is both an adoptee and a birth mother, tells about her being born in Co. Cork and being adopted by a couple in Philadelphia. She then has a child while still at school and has to have her adopted. Time passes and Mari started to do some searching ... "After all the necessary paperwork had been submitted to CSS in Philadelphia, the social worker there informed me that I must pay a $400 fee to them for their "services." I've read something along those lines about children's homes making a charge for a search on RootsChat. As Mari says that makes it an expensive search through a filing cabinet  www.netreach.net/~steed