Author Topic: Dead end - James & Patience KING - COMPLETED  (Read 15717 times)

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dead end - James & Patience KING - COMPLETED
« Reply #27 on: Friday 04 March 11 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Lyn
Further info click on
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=518225.new
regards Vicki.
Cannon, King, Cole, Sansom, Heaton, McDonald, McKinnon, Mcqueen, Tape, Gash

Offline rachel louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 May 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi I am the grand daughter of minnie king who is listed in your trail, daughter of alfred william (also sometimes just listed as william king) of brompton ralph. The information I knew is that alfred williams father was a cabinet maker who went to London, and died. His wife brought alfred william back to brompton ralph and left him with his grandmother, who brought him up. (his mother went back to her family in south wales). I asked my father if alfred willliams father didnt die, but went to Australia (alot of farming family offspring went to australia at that time, because there was no living at home), but he seemed convinced that he had died. Minnie king had told my father that in bromptom ralph there were 2 families of kings, but that they werent related to each other. This may be where some of the confusion is.

Offline lynt_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel Louise,

The plot thickens. Perhaps Alfred William's father was Thomas as he is the only male child of James & Patience who hasn't been "tracked' at this stage. I tried to find a death for Thomas is London but it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Lyn

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel Louise,
Lovely to hear from you, I don't suppose there is a family member that has Alfred Williams birth or death cert? I am still tackiling Thomas as well.
regards Vicki, a long lost & very distant cousin

Offline rachel louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 14 May 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki and Lyn
My father might have some papers, I dont think that there is a either a birth or death certificate, I am going to visit him at the beginning of June, so could look through the information he has then. I probably will be able to find out the name of Alfred Williams father.

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
Rachel, cross fingers that some info. is discovered. Have a good visit in the mean time I will keep on chugging.
Interesting Note:  Have stumbled on some VERY confusing info, which led me down a day of puzzling research.  We have 2 ..Alfred W KING's born 1862.  London.  In 1871, 1 was with Patience White (KING) (grandmother) our definate line... the other b. HOXTON, LONDON 1862, was in Llandaff, Glamorgan, Wales, with a Bernard Branfill (Patience had a nephew ..Bernard ;D) & mother..Martha KING ???m. entry for them lists his father as Richard, which is correct. its worth jumping to both 1871 census's & looking just for a smile. All the POB's & ages match.  HOWEVER Alfred cannot be in 2 places at once. I am assuming the Census was taken on the same night in the UK.
In 1881 a Bernard Branfill  was living with them in England. CONCLUSION:None have no idea which Bernard is the right nephew. . ;D
Branfill was mispelt a lot of the time. The Wiveliscombe parish entries have BRANFILL, BRANFIELD.
keep in touch Vicki.

Offline rachel louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Alfred William had a brother (My father has letters from him to Alfred William) I cant remember what his name was but will find when I visit in June. His mother took the brother back to South wales, when the father died, but took Alfred William to his grandmothers in Somerset and left him there, and the grandmother brought him up. I am wondering if Alfred william was listed on 2 cencuses because his mother didnt want to admit she wasnt looking after him.

The brother went away to sea, presumably was a sailor. He wrote letters back to Alfred William from various places around the world. He kept saying that he had been very bad (ie brother had been bad) but he never said what it was that was bad. The letters ended, so we guessed that he died on one of these trips.

Rachel

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 May 11 00:48 BST (UK) »
Rachel,
On the 1871 Wales Census, there was a brother Robert W KING also born in 1854 Hoxton, LONDON. I am wondering the same thing as you. I have found a Robert W KING b. 1858 Hoxton on 1881,1891,1901 census's, (different occupations & not a sailor) but have not found him on the most significant one... 1861  :( Not working today so will tackle the mystery some more. Vicki.

Offline rachel louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 05 June 11 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

here is some information

Alfred william died 1934 married Elisabeth Lansdown (bessie) (1864-1895)
Father William died of consumption.
Mother miss williams, remarried after fathers(william) death had girls (1/2 sisters to alfred william)
Brother William (sometimes used surname of king and sometimes bramfill) was one who was brought up in wales and then went to India, Australia, south africa, rio de janerio, working on ships, and anything he could (went to diamond fields in south africa etc)

Previous generation
Robert 1831-1834
Alfred 1834  - emigrated to Australia
Sarah 1836 - emigrated to Australia married Richard Larcome before going children William and edwin. William had sarah ann and 8 other children Edwin died 1895 had edward a boy and girl. Sarah remarried to become smith.
John 1840 - emigrated to australia
Robert 1838 -emigrated to Australia
William 1833 as above father of alfred william
Thomas1844-1905 married melony jane (French) 1853-1903 Daughter mabel fanney (1872-1920) married Edwin Hooper Smith
Frances 1846 (fanny) married walter stevens (great grandson - Simon Dring BBC news correspondent  see wikipedia)
Mary 1848 married Jim Langdon went to Canada washington, edwin and a girl
(Jim langdon came back to england they had separated)
Moniah died aged 21.

All the ones who went to Austrlia, went separately, and werent in too much contact out there.

Previous generation
Patience bramfill (1806-1893) married James King (died 1848) then married Richard white (died 1881)
Bertrand Bramfill was brother of patience lived with her towards end of his life.

hope this helps. I was going to attach a photo of patience but couldnt work out how to do it.

Rachel