Author Topic: Where or What is Camlin?  (Read 44368 times)

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where or What is Camlin?
« on: Friday 29 February 08 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me. We have a letter written by my ggg grandfather in which he states that his father was a William Phibbs Irwin. He also mentions his cousin General Irwin who had just died c1890 aged about 80 so I was able to trace him and through him the parents. That generation all seem to have been born at Camlin.

I cannot find Camlin as a place but I have recently found ahouse called Camlin in which some Irwins lived. So could somebody enlighten me as to whether or not there is a Camlin village/hamlet etc or does Camlin definately mean the house.

Also does anyone have any idea whether or not there is anything written about the Irwins anywhere.

Thanks
Brie

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
Re: Where or What is Camlin?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 February 08 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Some facts from Camlin Civil Parish circa 1837

Parish of Camlin or Crumlin.

It is a parish in the Upper Massereene, county of Antrim and province of Ulster. (Ireland)

Apparantly situated on Lough Neagh.

Does this tie in at all with what you have?

Su

Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 February 08 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't really fit as we know the family came from Southern Ireland.

Best wishes
Brie

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 February 08 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Also there is a mention of some tithe payments to a John Irwin esq. of Camlin (landlord) by an Easky at Ballymeeny Sligo County. (1824)

To start you off if you just do a search on a web site - put in  William Phibbs Irwin Camlin Ireland and you will be quite surprised what may come up!

Have Fun

Su

Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 February 08 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Also mention of a Richard Phibbs Irwin to do with County Sligo races and a Captain Irwin. circa 1814.

Is it possible these are related to you in some way?

Su

A few more details would be quite helpful as to which part of Ireland you think your Camlin may be located in and a few other names for people to chase for you :D

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 February 08 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Yes, I think these people are all relations but I can't quite work out how they connect and I am beginning to think I'm going to have to start saving and make a visit to Ireland. My father has always believed the family to be from the Roscommon/Sligo area. Also these Irwins hang around with Phibbses.

I have quite a bit more information from the letter but I haven't got that with me at the moment. I just didn't want to overload people. I will dig the letter out and the other bits of information - I may get a chance to do that this evening but if not I will tackle it on Monday as I'm working all weekend.

Thanks again
Brie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 February 08 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Have been trying to trace a family named Phibbs as we have a very old Bible in my husband's house and found it to be very much a Sligo name. That Phibbs family seem to be connected to Armstrongs and Hamiltons and just yesterday I got some more leads to follow up in 1911 census. Get in touch if any of the names sound familar.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 March 08 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'll try to keep it brief. As Suzy says if you search the names on the internet rather a lot comes up so I have bits of circumstantial evidence from that.

GG Grandpa William Irwin's (b 1821) cousin was General Irwin of the 88th Connaught Rangers.  The General's father was called John and is referred to by William (b1821) as John of Camlin, Ct. Roscommon. William's (1821)  father was called William Phibbs Irwin and was the younger brother of John. 

On IGI  members of the Church of LDS has submitted the following. John Irwin b.1816 and Rebecca Phibbs and a list of children including a John b. 1762 and a younger son William b. 1768. This looks right especially as Rebecca's father is called Harloe Phibbs and Harlow is a tradional name in my family. But I don't have any proper verifycation and don't know from where this information was obtained.

There is a Wlliam Phibe Irwin on IGI who marries an Ann Kelly 1795 (but in Scotland) Again I haven't any independant verifycation.

In 1827 a newspaper report refers to an Ann Honoria Kelly relict of William Phibbs Irwin marrying D'Arcy Mahon.

1837 Ann and D'Arcy are appealing in the House of Lords on behalf of Ann's son William (a minor) by William Phibbs Irwin. It doesn't say what the case was about but I do know that William (1821) inherited land from his mother which he lost under the Encumbered Estates Act. I have no proof that Ann Honoria and this William Phibbs Irwin are William's (1821) parents but the circumstantial evidence is stacking up.

I suppose I need William's (1821) birth certificate. He was born in Ireland but I don't know where. Any ideas how I obtain this if it is possible? And also exactly what Camlin was/is as I could then possibly find where the relevant records would be kept.

And finally, sorry to be so long William (1821) writes he has "been at the house of his father's cousin, one Col. Irwin of the Sligo Militia and seen the original grant of Lands in Roscommon and Sligo from Henry Cromwell, the Protector's son, to a Colonel of the same name, who was a founder of the Irish branch of the family.... " This person I can't pin down at all.

In answer to an earlier post I'm sorry but I haven't found any Armstrongs or Hamiltons.

Thanks
Brie

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 March 08 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brie

What a fascinating ancestry you will have!

Now I think it is a case of joining the two up.

To revert back to your original query, it does sound as though the majority of your ancestors came from the more 'northerly ' Camlin.  Perhaps they moved south and started naming their houses Camlin and even areas/roads/estates as Camlin (depending on their influence within the community!)  I am of course guessing at this  :D - the documentation you eventually find will tell you the facts.

Personally I have always found it easier to work from present day back - I do not know if they had birth certificates in 1821 (any experts please help here! ???)  I think you may be back into the parish registers.

It may be worth liaising with aghadowey to see if you have any 'phibbs' in common.

Also on the Irish General page there are a couple of articles from Ticker who is the moderator here and they will give you some great sites to search on.

I couldn't see any other Camlins, but calling all Roscommon experts out there - please let Brie know if any different. ???

Sorry to generalise on lots of points, I wish I was a little more knowledable on Irish geography but not as yet!

Good Luck Brie and stick at it. ;D

Su