Author Topic: Where or What is Camlin?  (Read 44253 times)

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where or What is Camlin?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 November 08 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abbeyview,

The furthest I have got back to with definite documentation is William Irwin b Ireland 1821.

He names his father as William Phibbs Irwin of Camlin. Because of this I think William Phibbs Irwin is likely to be William Irwin b c1768, son of the John Irwin you mention and Rebecca Phibbs as on the IGI. This is further enforced as there is an older brother called Harloe which is a family forename for boys. However, these are only submitted records and I have yet to find where the originals are held or from where this information originated.

My next move is to check out a marriage on the IGI of William Philbe Irwin to an Ann Kelly. I have a lot of circumstantial evidence that this may be my man but have yet to find where or how to view the original document. I live in hope (perhaps rather optimistically) that this may give me some clues.

I wil let you know if I find anything new.

Happy hunting
Brie

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 November 08 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Abbeyview,

I forgot to add that the 80 year old new father wasn't on the IGI but on someone's tree on Ancestry. Sorry I was unclear. I think it is likely that William's father, William Phibbs did have him in is 40s. I also have reason to believe his wife was a bit younger and re-married after his death. However, that is still 'work in progress'.

Cheers
Brie

Offline camlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of John Irwin of Camlin and have information on the house Camlin and i have various detailed family trees which i would be happy to share.
wj

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Camlin House is currently for sale!!
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/camlin-house-ballinameen-co-roscommon/333369
Introduction to house states that it was built for the Irwin family in 1610 so someone local may have a history of the family
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 September 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
Looks like there were two Irwin houses: From:  Lewis Topographical- always a good place to llok, free on library.ie

EASTERSNOW, a parish, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 1/2 miles (S. S. E.) from Boyle, on the new line of road from Tulsk, through Shankill; containing 1951 inhabitants. It comprises 3199 statute acres, of which the greater part is under tillage, and there are several large grazing farms; about one-tenth is bog, and there are some quarries of good limestone. To the west of the church are the Cavetown loughs, bounded by hills and plantations. At the head of the largest is Croghan House, the seat of the late R. Mahon, Esq., now the property of Guy Lloyd, Esq., and on a hill beyond it is an obelisk, forming a conspicuous landmark. On the opposite shore is Clogher, the seat of J. Dick, Esq. The other seats are Camlin, that of J. Irwin, Esq., and Granny, of T. Irwin, Esq.; and on the road to Elphin are several neat residences, on the property of Viscount Lorton. 

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, episcopally united, in 1813, to the vicarage of Kilcola, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Crofton. The tithes amount to £60. 16., one-half payable to the impropriator, and the other to the vicar; and the tithes of the benefice amount to £62. 14. 2., to which is added £39 per ann. from the Augmentation fund. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £337, and a loan of £70. from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821.

The church, a very plain edifice, is situated in a deep hollow near the southern extremity of the "Plains of Boyle," of which this parish is considered to be the limit. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Croghan and Ballinameen. The parochial school, and a school under the patronage of Mrs. Irwin, of Camlin, afford instruction to about 80 children; and there is also a private school, in which are about 30 children. In Cavetown are some caves partially filled up; they are said to extend to a very great length. There are also some scarcely perceptible vestiges of an old castle, called Moylerg, which is said to have belonged to the Mac Dermotts

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 September 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Camlin,

A big welcome to rootschat. I am keeping everything crossed that you might be the person to help me make my breakthrough.

I am descended from William Kelly Irwin b 1821 in Ireland. In a letter we have written by him he states that his father was William Phibbs Irwin of Camlin. Phibbs is used as a middle name quite often in my family tree, Harlow is used regularly as a forename. However, I do not have the evidence to show how my Williams connect to the Camlin tree although it seems pretty certain that they do somewhere. There are more details about what I do know earlier in this thread.

I would love to share information with you. At present you won't be able to contact me through the personal message (PM) system. You need to make three posts (so just send a couple of replies to this thread) and then you will be able to send personal messages that aren't open to the world wide web.

Myluck,

I saw the house was for sale - unfortunately beyond my budget  ;D

Brie

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 September 10 15:30 BST (UK) »
Before you get the wrong idea I wasn't trying to sell it!!!
There is a possibilty that who ever is may have further information about or from the house.
A branch of my own family is from near the area
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
Myluck,

Don't worry, I didn't think you were.

Another member of my family has tried the agent route but I think the only information he got was that John Irwin lived there in the nineteenth century which is a bit late for me. My ancestor will have been born in the 18th century. Thanks anyway.

Brie

Offline camlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Brie -- good to hear from you.
John Irwin of Camlin 1716-1791 (m 1st Ann Knott) m 2nd Rebecca Phibbs 172?-1809. John & Rebecca were my great-great-great-great grand-parents.